Android Ad-Blocker (Open Source) (No Root Needed)

Tired of getting ads after every single YouTube video? Browsing the web? Play games? Get the system-wide Android Ad-Blocker called Blokada!
Step One (OPTIONAL): Download F-Driod: The free and open-source android app repository! The apps on here are all open source (some are partially open source, but most are completely open source). Blokada is not on the Google Play Store because it violates some Terms and Conditions, so this is where you get it.
*Note: You will need to have enabled the option in your settings to allow installation of apps from unknown sources.

Step Two: Download Blokada, either from the F-Droid app repo, or from Blokada’s website.
F-Droid: Simply search “Blokada” within the F-Droid app, download it
Website: Scroll to the around the middle of this page, and click download!

Step Tree Fiddy: Install the app! Once you download the app from either of those methods, there should be a notifcation in your notifcation tray saying that the app download is complete. Click it, and it should bring you to the screen to install the app. Alternatively, if downloaded from a browser, it may be located in your browsers Download folder.

Step Four: Setup time! Once Blokada is installed, open the app, and click the option named “Blacklist”, and basically select all the host files. Next, go to the option named “Whitelist”, and select that as well. Lastly, keep the app alive, disable notifcaitons (unless you’re curious about everything that the app is blocked (warning, it blocks a lot!)), start on boot, and click the power button to run the app! After that, you’re done! The app will be blocking most ads!

Step five (OPTIONAL): Donate to the devs of this program, to inspire them to continue bringing updates to this app, so you can get fewer ads on Android!
And that’s it! You’ve got a system-wide Android Ad blocker, which does not require root, will run at startup, and works 90% of the time.

If the app is not blocking enough ads for you, you can install/add more host files for the app, so that it will block more things. Here are some (I’ve personally never tested them, but they should work).

Enjoy! :smiley:

4 Likes

I advise to NOT use any rooter apps, if you want to root your device, do it manually and with trusted (open source) tools.
With an app you’re granting root access to a third party, you’re literally installing a rootkit, so think twice what you install.
Kingroot for example sends a bunch of data back to China, and is considered malicious for a good reason.

1 Like

Nevermind him, he’s only on this forum to advertise. Take a look at his profile :laughing:

I’ve already flagged the post.

1 Like

oh lol

1 Like

Wat .-.

This was all in response to a spam comment that was here before. It’s gone, don’t worry about it

1 Like

Wait, what about DNS 66? I mean the thread has already been necroed so I might as well ask

I tried it, but couldn’t get it to work as smoothly as Blokada, however, with enough tinkering, it’ll probably perform very similarly, if not identically, if you use the same host files.