Android 7 - I'm Lost

So I have put the work in to my Optimus G and have android 7 running great on it using the nitrogen os image available on xda. I am going to admit, the last Android I know how to use really well is 4, 4.4 specifically. I have encountered either a few bugz or I don’t know what I am doing. Any help appcretiated here.

1. Keyboards.

In 4 I could set the android kb to dvorak and even the kb height. Instead I mave to use swiftkey, which isw’t awful, but the keys are fucking everywhere. Backspace is in the wrong place, . , ’ are all spread out… Its a damn mess. Hhe phone is rooted. Is tmere a way to stuff the formats back in?

1. Users.
    I can’ t change certain settings because of the profiles crap. I also can’t get into the user settings for the same reason, no admin. Its annoying.

2. Notification Bar.
    If I select a thing in the pull down menu theres no going back a menu. Are there replacement pulldowns? I used to have whose options in adw but it isn’t chip compawible it seems.

3. Buttons.
    I hatj the on scruen shit. My phone has separate actual touch buttons at the bottom. I have had to custom bind them since the defaults don’t work. I don’t mind, I just want to know if thats normal.

4. Gapps is broken.
    It just crashes out. It had an update and now it doesn’t work. Dunto what to do there.

Thanks.

OK well I dug a bit and found the KB answer. Why is this such a pain in the ass?

Took maybe 30 seconds to add Dvorak (and enable multiple keyboards as I only had one on)… what were you doing?

Custom ROM is probably the cause of some issues, probably 4, 5, maybe 2 as well that’s not clear.

3 as in if you press the down arrow on WiFi you can’t go back? Tried pressing back? I don’t think the functionality changed from 7 to 8. In 8 the back button works everywhere.

1 Like

Be more specific

The back button is replaced with the pull up notification bar one but does the same as the back button, just use it as normal. I hope I got right what you meant to say.

What?

You probably used the wrong package or tried to install them afterwards. You need to flash the Gapps immediatly after you flashed the ROM before the first boot.

For next time: be more specific and use some screenshots because it’s like decoding hieroglyphs if you write this way.

probably the wrong gapps for the version or needs to be reflashed.

FWIW im on 7.1.2 stock nexus 6p and have no issues with the above mentioned problems. I would venture a guess that the rom is your problem.

1 Like

OK so example on the note area. If I him the battery icon it stays at saying the battery percent until I reboot. It seems to have steppe that now that I turned on a lock screen though…

With users, I mean the multiuser functionality. Like how you have the whole user and credentials area in the settings.

Well they sure as fuck don’t make it obvious, do they?

The touch buttons on the phone. Now theres on screen “soft keys” which I couldn’t find the settings for, but I have now. But even hitting “Home” on the soft key settings doesn’t do anything. I have to set it to the home screen app specifically which is… well annoying on setup.

Gapps is packaged in with Nitrogen. Its not a separate package.

Sorry about the mismatching. I was stuck in a room with no real keyboard. I hate typing on phones. :T

1 Like

Its a russian rom and it has quite a few bugs that I /could/ fix by hand but it looks like its been abandoned, possibly. I’ll have to talk to the lineage people and see whats up over there.

I would see if theres anything closer to AOSP if you can. Personal preference really but ever since I ditched the custom rom and stuck with “google’s vision” for android its been a much smoother experience. Lineage would probably be a safe bet though too.

Personally I would prefer lineage but it seems a lost cause for me at the moment.

Not sure I quite get what your explaining, but it sounds like a rom bug rather than a core android thing.

1 Like

Hold on lemme screenshot.

Like if I pull down the notification area at the top, right, I get the stuff like turn on and turn off services like wifi. But I don’t have a way to go back at all. I have to lock the phone and come back.

There appears to be a LOT of android 6 images around. I’m wondering if I should just go to that.

slide up?

No that just closes the whole thing and pulling back down its still there.

I’ll look at some version 6 images theres many many more over there. Theres only like 3 version 7 images.

Ah yeah on mine there’s a done button.

TBH the difference in 6 and 7 wasn’t a whole lot.

1 Like

Android without Xposed is like driving on the highway on a shitty 2 stroke Vespa. I’m still on MM and won’t leave until newer versions have full Xposed support. I don’t like where they’re heading with Android though. Seems as though they’re trying to make root break more and more features…

I have been informed that OpenGapps is a thing. I’m going to flash that with the 7.1 image and see what happens.

Adding onto this, there are 2 versions of the 7.1 build that I can get. GeeHRC and GeeB, which aren’t meant for the LS970, but they can be made bit compatible relatively easy (just some added kernel shit).

As it turns out, the launcher in the GeeB image is bugged out and services seem broken versus the GeeHRC image. Bonus to GeeB is that it basically instantly boots, but a LOT of stuff is missing (like half of the drop down menu with battery listed above). I flashed the HRC image, let it boot, and everything /seems/ normal. At the moment I can’t find anything that resembles 6.0. I can find 4.4 and the 5.0 image that I used years ago that is battery killer 101. No bueno.

Also flashing gapps froze the boot on the phone… Not sure how to attack that, but I want my own gapp package put in.

Edit: I have the phone set up now. Installing apps. The only thing I am unsure of is the battery, but I can optimize for that really easy. I have brand new batteries too, got one as a backup. I might make a post on using old old android phones nowadays. Does that seem interesting?

Yeah, but that was my guess because on Android 7 stock the back button stays the back button if you pull down the notification bar.

This is something that has to do with the rom. I’ve never had that issue on stock roms.

Well it’s weird that you’re having issues with Gapps, they should be packaged properly into the ROM. Have you seen anyone else having the same issue with Gapps in Nitrogen? Ask on XDA aswell if you haven’t already.

See post above.