Android 11 vs 12

Hi all, I just signed up, great forum! Lots of interesting topics.
I have a question, I have Android 11 now, but I’m wondering if there is a significant difference with the newer Android 12? I read that the new one has a lot of focus on security and has some updates for games. But there are also problems, some users are complaining that they can’t see their contacts after the update.
Who has the new version, please share your impressions of what 12 is like in day to day usage?

It depends from phone to phone. I have a google pixel so Android 12 is already a bygone memory for me and I am on 13. I love 13. No complaints. I have no complaints about 12 either but my phone is explicitly designed by the creators of android so I rarely have any issues

YMMV depending on the phone you have. The bulk of the issues with 12 aand 13 are currently being reported on samsung phones (no surprise here given their lack of QC on the software side)

Works fine, be vary of Chinese manufacturers except Lenovo (Motorola/Moto) as QA regarding software is poor at best.

I buy phones now based on Lineage support, and the very first thing I do is unlock and flash. I got sick of waiting for the MFG to get around to maintaining the OS.

I have a 9 year old google nexus 7 that is still getting updates on lineage OS.

1 Like

I have a Pixel 3a and Android 12 is the last upgrade that this phone gets. I started with Android 9 on this phone.

Compared to Android 10, Android 11 was good. Android 12 was a bug fest but it seems to have mostly evened out. I get random graphical things but the phone rarely locks up or reboots on me now.

On my wife’s HTC u13 Android 11 was the EoL release for here and it was a bug fest for her compared to Android 10 which was rock solid. She is on the Pixel 6 Pro with Android 13 an she is getting connectivity bugs.

As you see, mileage may vary so you have to be very specific about what you are on an what you plan to go to.

Android 12 made everything a rounded corner, and appears to have reduced information density in the notification display and quick settings. (I’m on team square corners).

They also introduced a weird split screen grouping feature. Unfortunately this meant LineageOS removed their superior split screen feature, so I don’t use it much anymore.

Having used Android since Froyo (2.2), I’ll just say that it’s gone through a lot of changes. Generally I’d say the trajectory is positive, but there are certainly occasional changes that are really annoying. However over time you get over it.

Regarding security, look up your settings and look for the security patch level. If it’s a few months old you’re not getting updates anymore, and it’s time to upgrade to the next major version.

Thank you for your help!

1 Like