An FYI about Dell M2800 Win10 Graphics driver issue with AMD Firepro (Bought Q1 2015)

This might just be handy to know for anyone getting a second hand one.

Before I go on, I’ve got to say it’s been a pretty decent laptop, does CAD and 3D pretty well, no complaints. Battery life has been brilliant on-site, at least 7 hours working quite hard.

Only down side, other than the one I’m going to mention is the screen, twice it went a strange brown’ish colour in one of the corners within the first year, luckily I have on-site support so a guy came out within days and changed it at no cost. It’s been several years since that with no probs, so they must have improved something.

My main reason for posting is the incompatibility of the latest Windows 10 drivers for the AMD Firepro W4170M, and not just that but a complete system freeze when trying to upgrade/update it. The reason for upgrading was because several programmes show they aren’t using it and instead the built in GPU of the CPU. I tried updating via:

Windows Update
AMD’s website
Dell’s website

None of them worked properly, even after checking the download with MD5 (or it sounded something like that.

So to avoid mucking around too much (as many owners have), I’m just going back to Windows 7, which worked perfectly - I only changed because my work computer was Win 10 and it didn’t seem so bad.

Any comments are welcome, but mainly just a headsup! :+1:

Just a little update, I’ve now downgraded to Win7…feel like I’ve gone back in time! On the bright side, my battery strangely lasts longer and the graphics card is now doing what it should…work!

I know it’s definitely working…hello again fan, it’s been a while :smile:

1 Like