An EPYC Launch!

Well of course Threadripper is ment for a diffrent sector of the market.
Threadripper cpu´s are ment for the HEDT platform, on which EPYC is mainlly ment for the enterprise server world.
Threadripper cpu´s will also be clocked higher, so in terms of pricings,
i expect them to be priced a bit differentlly aswell.

I cant remember the article link (I will try to find it when I get into work tomorrow) but one of the press releases about the epyc launch had within it a comment from an intel representative stating that amd's epyc architecture will lead to 'inconsistent performance' across a range of applications with a further comment that intel was 'tried and tested'.

The way it was worded seemed like scare tactics to me

..I was very close to rage posting a link to it on this forum but sadly work got in the way.

have to find the article when I get into work tomorrow.. it should be on my history.

In the immortal words of Sean Connery, "Shuck it Intel.. shuck it long and shuck it hard"

3 Likes

And here is the article:

They just didn't stitch together 4 desktop die, thats only part of it ya wankers. And really... innovate Xeon eh? You mean thats why instead of having a boring naming scheme but you know EXACTLY what you are gonna get you are doing stupid ass gold, silver, bronze, platinum, copper, boron or whatever other bullshit name you are giving a group of processors. Ranks right up there with Intels 12K gaming line.

that's the one.. cheers!

"inconsistent performance and other deployment complexities"

kind of scaremongery I think

gold silver bronze is for managers who lack IT knowledge.. (you would be amazed how many purchasing decision makers lack IT knowledge) its a trick to get more of the mid tier and above stuff sold.

people who know what they are doing will buy the bronze because its enough hammer to crack the nut.

people who dont will buy silver and above as it 'sounds' better.

But the problem is you have to trade features.... Intel states their platinum is the best performance, business agility (whatever that is) and hardware enchanced security. Then you have gold which has great performance, fast memory, more interconnect/accelerator engines (so does that mean they perform with platinum?) and advanced reliability.. but security is non existent? Then you have silver which is more efficient at low power... so don't use this to its ability otherwise you lose the efficiency, and we dont have security... or fast memory... or reliability. Finally is bronze.. which well, umm, is a processor... so you get stuff, I guess.

Scaremongery yes, but I have to say that it does still seem a little bit ghetto. Reminds me of

Which is working this time. But for how long?

Na just like mono blocks for the board

1 Like

cough cough Pentium D cough cough

1 Like

Except for the fact that it is a lot more than just "more cores."

AMD is offering a highly compelling feature set at a proper price.

2 Likes

Yeah they are. I hope it lasts and this isn't a one trick pony.

1 Like

cough cough SQL Server cough cough
The IT department where I work just bought a 12/24 thread Xeon for its ERP/SQL environment... Microsoft laughing all the war to the bank with it's per core license.

Infinity Fabric stitching?

Yes

but Intel (who I was quoting btw) is acting like they just took some cores and a glue stick and went to town. A bit like they did with the Pentium D ironically lol

2 Likes

Like the one they use in the TIM?

That's actually mayonnaise

4 Likes

People who know what they are doing will take a very close look at both platforms and purchase a mixture of both based on what applications/services the server/s will be running. Epyc is awesome but I do not think at this moment it fits "all" the categories that every customer will need or want.

Very true. It's hard to pass up Epyc's IO. Pack in lots of storage or lots of GPU. 128 PCI lanes can get a lot out of a single CPU rack.

Even Threadripper is impressive with 64 PCI lanes.

2 Likes

that is what I meant, knowing the workload you will pick bronze if bronze does the job

IT illiterate managers however...

To be honest, it could be good for it people working under an IT illiterate manager as they are more likely to be fooled by this malarky and go for the better kit option.

It's just marketing bullsh*t

They only survive in small shops... Data centres that buy in the millions or into the billions are what matters.

I've seen many idiot managers come and die across many fields. Idiots are everywhere.

3 Likes

so for people who are confused by the opening shots and all the numbers, these are primarily server cpus, right?