An EPYC Launch!

Ah alright. Wasn't exactly up on how they do it. I do know that some software is still licensed per socket though. Thanks for the update

Either way, I still think it makes sense for smaller servers to use less sockets if not necessary, Prob lower platform costs overall

Mildly unrelated gif cus raisins:

Intel right now

3 Likes

What else is licensed per socket? The Socket licensed OS was last a thing in like Server 2012. Though Windows Pro is always licensed to up to two sockets and There's a Windows 10 Workstation licensed up to quad sockets.

I think this will be interesting when cheap quad socket motherboards float around eBay allowing people to get a cheap quad socket workstation and have a lot of cores.

I honestly couldn't tell you for sure off the top of my head. I am by no means an expert on this sort of thing. A quick Google search indicates Veeam licenses by socket as do a few others. It is dying though for sure.

Unrelated:

Preliminary EPYC power consumption information.

So basically the same thing happening here to efficiency that happened to performance on early Ryzen, it is already remarkable and it is just getting better.

I'm sure that Intel can glue something together. Glue being the key word.

3 Likes

Wait wut? 16 Core for 650$ how?!?. So if i think how the cpu market works we can se a Threadripper 16 Core for as low as 550-600$. If that is true there is no question i will buy this platform.

2 Likes

Oh wow. Yes, this is good.

All I can see in my head now is the preview image for The Kek with the westboro meme Intel signs.

The worrying thing at this stage is brand loyalty. Though accounting departments will have a hard time passing these up.

1 Like

Some 'Technical marketing' videos.

PS: AMD's Secure Memory Encryption (SME) and AMD's Secure Encrypted Virtualization (SEV) are also available on Ryzen.

Some insight on AMD's Datacenter perspectives

Some Big Customers

3 Likes

Interesting. I wasn't aware that software comes licensed by cores or by socket.

Still, I would think they've got some guy some where, in a room, working on it or planning it out for the future. Although it does make sense that they would start on the lower end. A good, not ridiculously expensive way to "prove" to customers how good their new architecture is.

As threadripper looms, I look at my 7700k with mild regret. Although the motherboard is still sexy.

You can thank IBM/Oracle of old for that mostly.

2 Likes

The Livestream recap

1 Like

I hope AMD makes a killing in the server market so they can keep intel on there toes through future generations of CPUs. Maybe tip some cash into GPU to catch Nvidia into the coming tech gen's as well.

1 Like

At that price it won't be an issue.

Fools and money are a powerful and mind boggling thing.

1 Like

That awesome! VMs with encrypted memory for ultra-secure computing but also convenience. Cold boot / DMA attacks are the biggest weakness at the moment, and between this and OPAL v2 we can finally have an cheap, fast and secure workstation.

1 Like

REKT

FUCKING

REKT

Anyways .. a market where a single entity controls nearly 100 percent of the environment is bound to have competitive disruption. AMD is doing that and they are doing it very smartly. They are offering features that only 2 processor intel counterparts offer. It definitely is going to have a profound impact. In fact I imagine china will jump on this processor too LOL theres a large untapped market in china :smile:

Damn.

AMD came out swingin'.

The only thing I could wish for is for Apple to switch to this instead of staying on Intel... so that osx86 with amd cpus would be more straightforward.

In reality almost no one uses those. Supermicro make some chassis for this but it's specialized. The last 5 years has seen a March of big business going to two socket clusters rather than 4+ socket servers because lower cost and actually more reliable.

Infact things have got so bad in the Enterprise space a lot of enterprises are even opting for medium core count one socket servers because the cache coherency protocol across sockets has always been a turd and because not enough mcc and hcc CPU cores can directly access pcie resources

7 Likes

I suppose that the threadripper cpu´s might come standard with an aio.

2 Likes