An EPYC Launch!

Yeah but those are taking up 1x pcie lane aren't they?

Threadripper and EPYC are both based on the same 8 core CCX's, some ofc will have disabled cores on Threadripper but same CCX.

Oh no your totally right, 128 lanes is all you need. The reason I wanted 4u is because you can't get a full height expansion card in a 2u chassis unless you turn them sideways, and if the cards are sideways, you can't get that many cards in there.

2 Likes

Its gonna be YUUUUGGEEEEEE

1 Like

Oh god, water blocks are going to look ridiculous.

1 Like

Kiddie pools

3 Likes

I can see meme's already.

Involving a lobster?

2 Likes

Rock Lobster?

2 Likes

I feel like this is the first time anyone has given a single fuck about AMD server chips for a long long time.

7 Likes

Agreed.. this is the first time in many years anyone has given a fuck about AMD in general. Its nice... really really nice.

To be honest the only interesting thing in Intel to me is the GPU hacks that are out, some of the Iris chips, then Pentium M's and Pentium 4's....

Didn't even see that at first but you are totally right. The 7351P is 750,- bucks, of course Threadripper will run faster but also this one has double the PCIe and memory capacity. Both 16c/32t single socket.....

Very interesting.

AFAIK, at least according to the Anandtech article I read, they aren't planning any more than 2 socket servers.

Their primary targets are smaller systems on less sockets. They will sell you a one socket replacement for a two socket server with better connectivity and performance in all likelihood.

It saves costs as much software is licensed by socket. This is also smart too because most systems are actually 2 sockets or less.

Basically, they aren't biting off more than they can chew. Taking it slow.

1 Like

It is. Because AMD has been total shit for years.

1 Like

Damn Krieger putting it a bit softly aren't we? XD

1 Like

Yeah exactlly. :slight_smile:

I'm actually more interested in total power consumption. TDP numbers seem a bit high although I read a preliminary report that was stating real power consumption was actually quite low. Better than an Intel competitor but that will have to be demonstrated.

It should be quite efficient as Ryzen is amazingly frugal at low clocks which is what matters here. Yeah you may be a little slower and not have more than two sockets but you're cheap and use less power? That's a win for an enterprise customer.

That coupled with the PCIE connectivity and the rumors that Skylake EP will only have 6 channel memory and nerf PCIE lanes makes this even more and more compelling.

Especially considering Skylake-Es current power efficiency, or should I say inefficiency, Intel won't be able to win on higher clocks.

2 Likes

This could piss said software companies off who are used to the cash cow of Intels lots of socket solutions. Next thing they will do is increase the price/socket on Epyc platforms.

Actually, MS now licenses per Core and CAL.

MCM is glorious, absolutely bonkers prices and just look at that 650 usd price tag for 16 core enterprise parts with 128 pci-e lanes.
AMD is going to have a easy time with pricing on the threadripper platform, sub 500 dollar 12 core parts bois.