Amh a409u uhd 40

Really? What happened with it?

Happy to see everything working out. great :-)
PS just ordered 2, 1 new and 1 originally A399U updated to A409U.
Boy , soon a lot to talk about.............GREAt

I am sorry to say, that I am still under treatment and for a stable mental state, dr House recommended to get the 409 s.
I am jumping like a little boy jumping up and down. (carefully, brittle bones)
I do not believe it is a good idea to hold on A399U; that is definitely a sure no brain er; and proven at that.
But of course people that cannot keep away from new tech; for me the ONLY weakness I got is DISPLAYS. A very often under considered piece of equipment, but still the one that gives you the MOST SATISFACTION; it show to its best what you worked for.

I'm concerned about this guy......

1 Like

I have a picture in my head of some guy in a garage surrounded by monitors to the roof from all computer ages.

Even with the screen set to 1080 it would just switch off after 1-3 mins.

Quite disappointing, but they've agreed to pay return shipment and have offered a refund or replacement. I'm just waiting on the Fedex details to send it back to them. I'll certainly be getting a replacement rather than a refund, the question now is which! :)

No worry it is all working out.

close, let me take a few pics and show you..................

I think the 409u definitely. I made a thread on the two and some knowledgeable sirs that went over the specs agreed the 409u is the way to go. I was gonna get one 399u, but I bumped that order up to the 409u and ended up ordering two :P Can't wait to get those bad boys.

........I am really touched by the concern........but you know.us computer addicts, I need my regular software fix. (lol)Nice talking to other connoisseurs, or should I say highly specialized maniacs...

Cheers, and more comments on 399 and 409

should have 2 on the way shortly.................(youpy douda.............) (more jumping around)

interested in that thread. what was said exactly ? very curious and info greedy.

I've JUST saved up today to get the A399U.. I will now need to wait a fortnight to have enough for the A409U as it's USB Firmware port + more connectivity + no glass to deglass + contrast boost.
It looks worth upgrade for $50AUD extra.. ~$760AUD VS $810AUD... I prefer to leave in original condition, not deglass it so I would pay the extra. I like it has remote control.

@Wendell we are all looking very much forward to your review of the new revision monitor.

It mentions this monitor cannot be connected to low power GPU / or laptop at all? what does that mean? I cannot connect laptop to HDMI 1.4 port and use 1080P to play movies occasionally? or use PS3 on second HDMI 1.4 port??

How is sound out on this monitor? I can connect Headphone port to external amplifier to use surround speakers? It's just 3.5mm output correct?

I will use DP1.2 + HDMI2.0 ports for arch/windows VM + 1-2 more monitors.

I'm going to impatiently wait for a review on the AMH A409, I was so close to buying the A399, but this A409 seems to be a bit better for just a bit more money. The logic board in this new A409 seems to have been updated to the one that is in the WM UHD420. The port arrangement and that service USB port look almost identical.

The WM looks awesome, but that glass is just too reflective. Also, after seeing the black levels on a VA panel, now I kinda want that more then the IPS.

This A409 is like a disturbance in the Force. So get on that asap @Wendell, the fate of the planet is in question...

It's just a blanket statement. They want to avoid you using a GPU that doesn't have at least DP 1.2 or HDMI 2.0 since anything lower then that will limit you to 30Hz or much worse, not get you the full 4K experience.

does it have the edge shadow/distortion? The panel itself is supposed to be thinner. Also can you go into MS Paint and draw a red rectangle and drag it around on a white background? And let me know if it streaks visibly?

Mine wont be here for a few more days probably. I am not sure if it is the same K4500 panel /same chipset. I did not think it was.

Ah a blanket statement, I see. all good than.
Yes @wendell has already purchased one.
It is on the way. I don't really want to wait for the review as Tek have plenty video's to process already, so the video won't come for a little while after he gets the Monitor, and I need it ASAP. So I'll just bite the bullet and get it.

I think it's the same panel that is in the A399, the non-glass version. Or maybe just a slight variation 8bit+FRC (fake 10bit), since the A399 was "only" 8bit. But I'm not so sure about that. The dimensions are exactly the same, it's not like one is 39.5" and the other is 40". Same skewed aspect ratio 16:8.8, not quite 16:9, not perfectly square pixels. So I expect it to have the same issues, like the border shadow. The main difference is that the scaler is now the "single chip" K4500 board, that supports FreeSync, but it might not be enabled.

When you get it, let us know if it's still PWM. If they are using a better panel, DC would be much more appreciated then the fake 1.07 billion colors. DC will also help with the streaking.

@Wendell, do you think the WM UHD420 can be deglassed like the A399?

wmuhd420 cannot be deglassed. the difuser assembly is part of the lg panel assembly and it is not user servicable. In fact the front glass and lcd polarizer are one and the same.

1 Like

Yeah which isn't such a bad thing as the glass is less of a problem compared to 399u that has a gap in between causing extra glare.

1 Like

My assumptions about the panel were incorrect.

@Wendell: Someone from Dream-Seller actually said on ebay that the AMH A409U has a 40" Chimei Innolux panel. Didn't specify exactly which one, but there are just a handful of VA panels from them, series V400DK1-Kxx comes to mind. Response time G-to-G on all is 8.5ms. Viewing angles are 88 (176) in all directions, and it supports 120Hz (for 3D, I assume only at lower resolutions). Still RBG.

Comparable to the Philips (TPV) panel that the A399U might have.