AMDGPU problem

Hello!
I hope someone can help me with this.
So, I have AMD r9 390x and just installed ubuntu, trying to get AMDGPU driver working. I am logging in on Xorg version of gnome. Currently only radeon is working. when i do lspci -k this is the output for gpu:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii XT / Grenada XT [Radeon R9 290X/390X] (rev 80)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Radeon R9 390X
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

When blacklisting radeon, I get a blackscreen, i can ssh into PC but no video on screens even when trying different ttys.
Also tried with modprobe amdgpu and modprobe -r radeon but no luck.
Any ides what I could try to make this work?

From what I gathered your card is GCN 2 aka code name Sea Islands.

Chips

discrete GPUs (Sea Islands family):

• Bonaire
  • Hawaii

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next#second

Radeon
R9 390X[47]
(Hawaii XT)

So you need special kernel params. DId you add radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 to your kernel parameters? (In the bootloader)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_.28SI.29_and_Sea_Islands_.28CIK.29_support

1 Like

You might also need amdgpu.dc=1 to enable the new AMD display code if it’s not already enabled by default in your kernel (I am not sure if this is enabled by default yet for GCN2 or earlier in the latest kernels) and once it’s working if you are experiencing performance issues with your GPU some sources recommend adding amdgpu.dpm=1 to enable Dynamic Power Management.

I have an MSI R9 390 and use the following kernel (currently kernel 4.18.17 on Fedora 29 ) parameters for the AMDGPU module:

amdgpu.dc=1 radeon.cik_support=0 amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.dpm=1
1 Like

Sorry to jump in on the thread but how would you go about adding/editing the parameters of the kernel for AMDGPU?

Assuming you are using GRUB as your boot loader you can modify the grub configuration files and re-build the grub configuration.

Steps on how to do this on can be found here (The examples are for CentOS and RHEL but I assume the GRUB tools are the same on all distros)

Or you can use the “grubby” command line tool if it’s available on your distro. I find using grubby easier because you don’t need to find the GRUB config files yourself and it takes care of rebuilding the GRUB configuration for you.

Steps on how to use it can be found here

There are also some GUI based tools for various distros but I haven’t had much success with them, grubby does the job for me.

EDIT: Even when using grubby it would be a good idea to backup the grub configuration files before making changes. Steps to back them up are given in the first link for the non-grubby approach.