Amdgpu-pro 19.30 934563 thoughts?

Has anyone tried out the recent amdgpu-pro from AMD? I wasn’t noticing much of a difference between amdgpu-pro and mesa on Linux Mint 4.15 Kernel and 5.3 Kernel.

The Witcher 3 seems to run about the same on vega 56, though the open source driver did feel a bit smoother.

I first used the ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers repo

then ./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=pal

the benefit of amdgpu-pro is the opencl for Davinci Resolve

I’ve had trouble using both --headless or ./amdgpu

Recent rocm doesn’t work with Davinci Resolve in my testing

how to install amdgpu-pro with upstream kernels

I like Linux Mint because you can’t just install amdgpu-pro on kernel 4.15 then upgrade to kernel 5.3 with easy. I’m not liking how POP OS! is handling this as they’re 18.04 LTS iso is now at Kernel 5.3 which makes getting opencl a pain. Even Ubuntu’s 18.04 uses kernel 5.0 instead of something below 4.18

For Davinci Resolve I originally thought that amd gpus with only opencl 1.2 don’t work, but I realized with clinfo that rx 570 uses opencl 1.2 and runs Davinci Resolve just fine while r9 390 and 7970 are potatoes.

Currently opencl is a mess on Linux, but I’m impressed with amdgpu-pro 19.30

Simple to install even without internet and just works, even if the performance is a little worse. I would take something the works for overall then pure performance. Luckily after the driver is installed you can easily update to kernel 5.3 without issue, but only really an option with a distro like Linux Mint.

Just curious if anyone else has any deeper insight, in the future I’d like to dig into getting opencl going in Manjaro.

1 Like

Vega is a whole other ball game in the render-area of computing.