AMD ZEN CPU to have pins on the cpu

with zen coming out this year

looks ZEN will be AM4+(edit)

so does this mean they still have pins on the cpu it's self?

I would like to get some feedback from some tech savvy people if this is a good move or bad on AMD side.

ZEN is going to be AM4, and it might not come out this year. We will likely see AM4 boards launch sometime this summer if the rumor mill is too be believed. It seems likely there will some APU launching on AM4 with Zen based products to follow later in 2016 or in early 2017.

AM3+ is dead. Its done and dusted. The socket is not going to see new chips, period. Its too old and its done.

sorry typo

AM4

Zen AM4 as a whole is going to have PGA, aka pins on the CPU.
Sadly I hoped for AMD to go the LGA route like they did on the server market.

I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things if the pins are on the CPU or the motherboard.

Having said that, I would not be surprised in the least if AM4 is more or less the exact same layout as Socket 939/AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+

Probably still going to have pins on the CPU, seems a bit better that way overall, not sure if there's any real advantage to putting them on the motherboard.

Generally speaking: pins on the CPU are slightly more robust but it causes problems with the CPU manufacture (one of the reasons Intel switched). By putting the pins on the board the mobo manufacturer has the liability w/ bent pins, etc but the connection itself is essentially the same just moved slightly.

Also if you have a block receiver on teh motherboard for the cpu pins to go into, I would think it would be more resistant to bending (like the skylake cpu's).

That would definitely make sense. It would also mean that as a consumer, it doesn't quite matter it just determines which component you would have issues with, if any

LGA has a good amount of benefits over PGA, higher density, more current handling and less inductance (enables higher frequency FSB n stuff like that)

I personaly realy like PGA over LGA for that matter.
I would not be suprised if am4 would be pga indeed.

LGA is more fragile and slightly harder to manufacture.
Current is difficult. You could just have to massive connector pins on the CPU in case of PGA and you could transfer 150A or more.
Magnatic fields are a difficult thing. I would imagine having longer connector pins or springs would increase the field density. If the current through a thinner connector rises, the field density increases aswell.