AMD Zen 3 + NAVI in Escape of Tarkov

Hi,

I remember Wendell mentioning in a video some weird performance issues with AMD Hardware (I think it was Zen 2 and an Nvidia GPU) in Escape of Tarkov. I even remember him saying he will further investigate.

I am strongly considering to upgrade to Zen 3 from my old 3570K since I just need more threads for most things now, especially EFT is struggeling to yield some decent performance while using my GTX 1070. I also would like to go full AMD CPU + GPU further down the line since it looks like a strong option right now, so GPU performance in combination would also be interesting.

So now my question is if the “weird” performance issues with Zen are still a thing with Zen 3 in EFT or are they a thing of the past? I couldnt find some solid information anywhere.
As you can see from my old CPU this is a major investment for me as a student so I try to be as diligent as possible.

I cant expect you to do a benchmark, I just want to know if you ever investigated further or anybody has some solid information on this.

Thanks in advance!

AMD Zen3 for Tarkov : EscapefromTarkov (reddit.com)

They claim the 3600X is good for EFT. Go with a 3700X if you need more threads. Alternatively, the 5900X ranked as “top dog” for all around gaming/work over the 5950X. I found newegg slipping some 5800X’s out at $549 lately. But the 3700x seems very worth while at $349.

As far as GPU, good luck getting the 6800XT soon. I saw 4/21 as the next “flood” of the 6000’s. Decent choice if you don’t want to wait and if using a Ryzen 3000 series is the RX 5700 XT with the 20.8.3 driver.

I am aiming to get a 5800 X in the next couple of months and a 6000/7000 series in the next years maybe.

A obscure reddit thread where people talk about how the processor will perform and one guy tlaks about the performance of a older similar processor doesnt quite satisfy my need for answers. Especially when noone talks about the weird issues Wendell was talking about, but thanks for looking up on it!

Also isnt the overall performance that telling when you have more stutters ect with something, I am not sure what Wendell was experiencing.

unity game engine performance issues - Google Search

That’s the game engine and there’s a lot of issues with memory handling and such it seems. So while I did not read Wendell’s post nor have I played that game, I am familiar with game engines in general causing “weird” issues. Like the “Cry” engine runs the entire FarCry series as well as Crysis and they all have problems handling memory.

For instance, FarCry 5 I found out the other day while running the AMD overlay, that it “holds” onto VRAM until it exceeds the value of the GPU card and crashes the game, computer or both. In my case, it will go to 7.6GB VRAM on a RX 5600 XT with 6GB VRAM, consume 6.6GB system RAM and then the crash happens.

Sometimes it freezes or artifacts out, even under the VRAM limit. A lot has to do with the game being more CPU bound, but it affect Intel as well.

I thought you were asking if going to a better CPU, specifically AMD, would help. The short answer is yes but no. So Wendell’s reporting odd issues within that title wouldn’t be surprising as that engine is multi-platform and seems to be as problematic if not more than “Cry”.

As far as “stutter” goes, I’ve played FarCry 5 on this AMD 3600X with the above GPU and with a prior build that was an Intel i7-8700K/Nvidia 1080i and while FPS on the Intel was slightly higher, it too would crash, stutter, slow way down at times. Actually become unplayable. Still waiting on a positive response from Ubisoft on that. seems they don’t care and with FarCry 6 coming out, I’m “gun shy” on paying $60+ if it too has this repeating issue that spans form 2005 to present.

No I wouldn’t recommend getting any CPU/GPU to fix an issue with a game engine. I’m sorry to have “butted” in with “useless” info as well. Hopefully, this might lend some insight to “weird” issues in general that seem game related. It’s not always the hardware.