AMD X399 / Threadripper motherboards appear

I’m so lost…

Where did Misty and I lose you

Well mostly I’m just very new to the world of power delivery but paying closer attention these days due to some wishful builds taking shape in my head (SFF stuff, not high power delivery but heat and removal constraints). Part numbers of components like the inductors or VRM components… I just don’t know them. I’m sure there’s something of a primer out there somewhere but I haven’t had the motivation to do that sort of research yet.

I am at least aware that all the IR numbers are International Rectifier and I’ve been trying to watch Buildzoid’s teardowns via YT to get a passing familiarity but he goes pretty quick and seemingly under the assumption that his audience knows at least a good portion of what he does.

But I am interested, so the post was also partly a tracking one to keep atop of the thread in hopes to absorb new knowledge on the topic. Plus anything TR is interesting right now given the shakeup in HEDT land.

It only really matters if you want to overclock, otherwise all of these boards will be fine.

So I’ve been looking at boards, and on Newegg there is a 1 star review for one TR mobo which states that it’s basically next to impossible to install W10 on TR systems at this point in time due to USB compatibility issues.

@MisteryAngel Can you comment on this?

Then what has every reviewer and everyone who bought one been doing? Only Linux? Lul

A single review points to personal idiocy more than a platform issue.

Assuming you meet this one?

Guy is talking out his ass. No clue what he is talking about. I think he meant to say Windows 7. Which requires USB 2 unless you get the patched version for USB 3.

Other issues I’d put down to it just being a new platform and one that is extremely different from what has come before. Never be an early adopter lol

4 Likes

I figured as much considering other reviews are generally favorable, but at the same time I thought “maybe he got a board with an older version of the BIOS” or some such.

Good to know he’s just a moron.

I got the ASRock X399 Taichi mobo. I like it for the I/O connectivity and TR for all those PCIe lanes. I have some add in cards like a HHHL SSD and capture card on the way. I also plan to add another GPU, hoping pricing comes down a bit soon.

1 Like

Agreed! I waited, I was considering X99, but heard X299 was coming. Then AMD slapped me across the face with X399. I am so glad I waited.

I agree it may be mostly be PEBKAC, but there have been known issues. New bios updates have hopefully corrected this. I cannot remember exactly what it was.

2 Likes

Sounds pretty unlikely to me.
Since motherboard manufacturers and also AMD them selfs,
probablly used Windows10 to test their Threadripper stuff on before shipping it out.

I rather agree with @DerKrieger the guy who wrote that comments,
probablly ment Windows7.
Which indeed could be a challenge if the said board doesnt have legacy ps2 or usb2.0 ports.

1 Like

I’m excited for the review on the Noctua coolers, I have a Enermax Liqtech TR4 240 but AIO pumps worry me. Hoping the Noctua NH-U14s TR4 to arrive.

And you can 100% tell he has no idea what he’s talking about, because even if it had USB 2.0’s and he meant to say Windows 7 instead of Windows 10, even then you won’t get Windows 7 running happy because M$ doesn’t support 7 or 8.1 on Ryzen platforms.

2 Likes

I had to note that several reviewers couldn’t get the screws down tight in order, almost certainly because the frame bows when #1 is fully tightened. Simple physics. Start them all, then torque in order.

Disappointing to read.

2 Likes

Yeah well lets say thats probablly human error i guess? :slight_smile:

But I’m so sick of that stuff!

I am a wizard!

2 Likes

How does it run?
I’m still very currious about that.
I guess that it wasnt really too hard to get it installed right?

No he’s talking about win 10, I’m having the exact same problem on an asrock x399 board. I was testing with an official microsoft usb stick aswell.

Fedora on the other hand installs just fine.

Edit: also with certain pcie cards the system will not post either (i.e usb controller cards with fresco logic chipsets)

Edit2: I should probably also explain how to fix it… hurf durf :crazy_face:

1. Download the newst fanciest iso from MS
  2. Make your own bootable usb using Unetbootin/Boot camp assistant or whatever
  3. Now you can boot from UEFI in the bios.

It is amazing. No problems whatsoever.

AMD drivers are on point.
Windows update requires to run wufuc because M$hit sucks.

The only real hurdle is that you have to bake the USB3.0 drivers into the ISO (for example with NLite) before installation (or use PS/2 peripherals :stuck_out_tongue: )

Overall smooth sailing on “the best windows of all times”.

1 Like

Anyone hazard a guess when we’d see Asus WS boards for X399?