AMD X399 / Threadripper motherboards appear

Its an 8 phase board yeah as far as i can see on that picture.
Hopefully i will have more information about them soon.

4 Likes

Hmm well we know the controller is a single IR3555M… So what do we know about the controllers abilities? Well I know every board it’s been on has been 10+4 (msi z170) or 8+2 Asus boards

Wups my bad was tired when posting :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m still waiting for one that has ECC support. How can you get a Ryzen 7 board with ECC without any big problems but not even one Threadripper board that supports it?

With all these threads, I want to put just as much memory in there and for server/virtualization use, I really need ECC.

1 Like

Wut…

EDIT:
Literally just checked the specifications page for every X399 motherboard currently available. All support ECC.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what I thought too…don’t know what comfreak is talking about.

I wrote to Asus on Twitter and they told me that their Prime X399-A board doesn’t support ECC memory in ECC mode. If you install ECC memory, the ECC functionality will be turned off.

1 Like

Hmm that is strange but the AsRock ones I know for sure will. All their X370 boards do and it works so…

Asus would be one to gimp features lol

The Prime X370 from Asus also supports ECC memory in ECC mode. Are you sure that the AsRock board also supports the ECC memory in ECC mode and not just “compatibility mode”?

AFAIK ECC functions yes.

Although you’d prob want to ask someone a bit more knowledgable about it to confirm.

That would suck, because I would really like to get a quality board for an expensive build like that. :thinking:

Honestly Asus’s boards imo aren’t exactly “quality” anymore. Overpriced yes. Quality? Ehh…

They have been gimping and making stuff cheaper for a while now with seriously quality control issues. Plus their RMA process and customer service is pretty terrible.

AsRock is making some really high quality boards these days. Especially for AMD.

2 Likes

That must be a rather new trend then. I have seen quite a few motherboards fail up until a few years ago and they were almost all made by AsRock. I have to add that they were mainly pre-built systems, but still something that stuck with me.

Depends on when they were made. Of the 7 ASRock Mobos I used in the past years, only one had an issue. RMA was done in less than a week.

1 Like

Seems like AsRock added some more info on the Taichi board since the last time I checked. In the compatible memory list you can find some memory with a “ECC” note on a very few of them. Since the X370 Taichi officially has working ECC support, it might continue on that legacy.

Maybe, if @wendell does a review on it, he could check? :wink:

4 Likes

Just wish they had a better list of supported memory.
I cant find any of the ECC models listed on ASrocks site for sale anywhere.

This one is on the list:

Not the cheapest though…

An unfortunate detail of this is that only UDIMM sticks seem to be working. Considering Ryzen Threadripper and Epyc are all built from the same dies, and ECC functionality is working with UDIMMs on threadripper, there is no reason that RDIMMs shouldn’t work except that AMD is segmenting that off for their server platforms.

I don’t think that it’s necessarily AMD’s fault. If you want to use RDIMMs in your system, your motherboard needs to support this, which adds complexity (e.g. for detecting which type of memory is installed) and therefore cost for something that is not necessary in the consumer section, even for high-end use. The main benefit of RDIMMs is the reduction of electrical load which is not necessary for just 8 slots. ECC DIMMs are also available in UDIMM fashion, so it’s easier/cheaper to stick with only UDIMM.

RDIMMs are also more expensive, so most people will probably want to get UDIMMs first, unless they have RDIMMs laying around in which case they might have other server components “laying around” too.

Want 16GB dimms