AMD X399 / Threadripper motherboards appear

They will have to make one of those two options work as telling people the default cooling is a custom loop build is just not feasable.

1 Like

Why is a custom loop not feasible?

sexy :smile:

I bet some will buy it, plug in a 24" 1080 monitor and play CSGO on it.

1 Like

Not unfeasible in general, but as the default it is.

To be told yeah there are no coolers for your product that needs a cooler is a bit silly even for the largest company. There will have to be some easy to install cooler for these be they air or closed loop.

Custom is definitely an option, but it should never be the default. Imagine trying to sell the CPU and having to refer someone to a list of water cooling parts and then telling them they have to assemble a loop out said parts just to get their new CPU working. Custom loop is a luxury people undertake, not the starting point of cooling.

1 Like

Can´t wait to take a look into the vrm implementations on those boards. :slight_smile:
Allready have the specs for the Aorus X399 Gaming 7 board.

Some like me who is trying to build virtulation workstion and gameing machine all in one. I might pass on the x399 platform, it depends on how much more exspesive it would be to switch from a Ryzen 1700 to a threadripper.

2 Likes

I really hope it is affordable, as I'm in basically the same position. Thinking about a Ryzen 1700, but would love to upgrade to Threadripper.

Maybe there are no ideal options on the market right now, but Threadripper isn't out yet either and I am fairly certain that the market will offer you an AIO in time. The predator series from EK's line of AIOs has an easy to swap waterblock, so you could do that, if EK doesn't already offer a Threadripper variant when AMD's new chip is available.

Edit: For air coolers, Noctua already has some prototypes, that will probably fit.

1 Like

Also this. I am interested to what a cooler for this looks like the CPU is huge. Plenty of options for intereting cooling, and in AIOs and custom blocks the larger area could make for interesting flow to adequately cool the entire chip.

Now my mind has raced and I am imagining custom blocks with 4 ports and two internal cooling loops. Half a chip each and heat transfer between the loops through the mid section of the block. Fun but totally impractical and silly. But still a fun idea.

I expect something like a new version of a D15 or something with revised contact plate will do the job.

For a start you could also just dump the whole board in 3M Novec :smile:

1 Like

Interesting stuff, super expensive.

True, but it will for sure help "rip" your "threads" :wink:

1 Like

I do not think coolers will be an issue. They are probably easier to produce: Just more fins, more heatpipes. The size of the CPU is advantageous.

If it is possible to aircool an AMD FX-9590 it is possible to aircool Threadripper.

4 Likes

It kind of wasn't. Nothing short of the largest Phanteks and Noctua's were effective all the time. the ended up shipping the 9590's with AIO water coolers.

EDIT: Though that is not to say you can't air cool Threadripper, new process, less heat, the the cores will balance that out. They should be fine, there is just currently no cooler, there will be.

1 Like

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/noctua_showcase_epyc_threadripper_ready_tr4_sp3_ready_cpu_coolers/1

Some air coolers from Noctua.

1 Like

That's what you can see in my link too :wink:

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

I play CSGO on a 24" 1080p monitor. Maybe I should get one :smiley:

Oh, just earned first emoji badge.

With the way AMD is prepping this go-around, I really feel they're gonna give Intel a run for its money once Threadripper is released and if the rumor is true regarding their 8C/16T CPU costing $849 then Intel is really gonna be in for a rude awakening.

As for X399 I only have eyes for the Asus Zenith Extreme.
This thing is a pair of Double Ds bouncing. I can't look away

2 Likes