AMD workstation from major manuf?

I have $3500 to spend on a new WS for work and it’s going to be a Xeon, because I have to buy from Dell, HP or Lenovo.

All this media praise about AMD dominating the high end market, but, why can’t I buy a Threadripper from any major manufacturers? How exactly are they “dominating” the market?

In a few years when it’s time for a server refresh, hopefully AMD will have more EPYC options out there from major players. It’s a good sign that HPE at least is selling some of the product.

Twitter, AWS and co are building data centers with Epyc.

Not sure where on the way from AMD to customers Epyc got stuck.

Edit:

They are dominating the market on two areas out of a few.

At the current moment, AMD is breaking into the Server/DC space, and have built quite a presence in the consumer DIY space.

They aren’t exactly there yet with OEM’s and pre-built business workstations.

For now, I’d start researching what Intel processor meets your needs at work and just buy from that pool as these machines are always have a service agreement with the manufacturers anyways.

Even a 3900x in a workstation class build would work… something I can run two GPUs in for powering eight monitors. I’ve bought Xeons historically because HP/Dell don’t support running high powered GPUs in desktop chassis, and they don’t support desktop cpu’s in workstation chassis.

That’s what it looks like. Gotta pull the trigger by April, but I’m thinking it’s another Intel box.

Puget systems will be doing this shortly

When I publish the RFQ I can send both Puget and Titan a copy, see what they come back with. I guess, since I’m spending the tax payer’s dollar, I don’t really care… Just wanted to show AMD some support since Intel’s shown nothing but disdain for customers time and time again.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.