AMD vs Intel fabrication process comparison

So I am interested in knowing which process is better. Is intel better because their cpus are higher priced? Or is it the same? My friend and I were arguing this. He kept saying AMD is shit because of having cheaper material and fabrication processes. I kept trying to argue that if you see AMD cpus failing then that argument might be valid. He kept saying it is cheap and that it doesnt mean it would fail. So I dont understand what he was trying to get at? Are AMD cpus cheaper? Yes, I believe this to be the case because they are trying to compete with slower hardware and that they are a smaller computer. I have only ran AMD cpus and not once have I had a failure in processors. Athlon FX, Phenom and phenom ii, not FX again.

My point is that the fabrication for intel cant be more expensive just because intel has faster cpus. His point is that is. When he was saying AMD was cheaper he was saying they were more cheaply produced compared to intel. I just think the price gap is because of competition problems due to differences in hardware and not fabrication and AMD being a smaller company and all would drive them to have better bang for your buck.

I am pretty sure the fabrication process which determines their performance is kept heavily under wraps...

1 Like

Ehm.. I don't see how materials used by AMD, in any way would be cheaper than intels, and that would be the reason for lower performance.
Seriously, we are talking nanometer scale stuff here, with super clean factories and stuff.. Materials are not going to be the thing ANY of these companies skimp on..
I see it more of a cpu architectural/design related issue.

Trying to compare a CPU with smartphone chassis or a toaster, by talking choice of materials, just seems too far fetched.. You can't compare it like that.. Seems to me that your friend don't know much about computers, if he thinks that's the reason for slower AMD parts.. GEEZ..
The real reasons are bad business practices by Intel and R&D progress..
And of course corporate strategy and segment/pricebracket targeting.. (not actual terms I don't talk corporation)

There is no way of comparing because they do not produce the same product. AMD designs processors that are not identical to Intel processors and both manufactures use different chip makers to produce the chips. The only way you could compare is if all fabricators made the same exact design of chip on the same process, and then you compared end results. There is no other way of having an objective comparison of the 'quality' of the product that is produced.

If you want to know the reason why one is cheaper than the other, it is rather simple. AMD parts have been slower as of the last couple of years so they cannot sell them for as much. There is nothing beyond that. Intel parts are faster, AMD parts are slower, so Intel can charge more and AMD can't. There is also the power draw reductions that Intel has made which make Intel so much more desirable in the datacenter. For example, four of AMD's opteron 6386 Se's score a cinebench r 15 score of approximately 2400. That is a power draw of 140 watts per cpu, so 480 watts for those cpus for that cinebench r 15 score. In comparison, a single Intel Xeon 2699 V4 with its single 140 watt tdp scores approximately 3320 points in cinebench r15. Intel's new Xeon's also have some instruction sets that the older AMD Opteron 6300 series plain do not have. This results in a huge performance advantage and also with Intel's improvements, a massive power usage reduction which is crucial.

Intel can subsequently charge more for its processors up front, as their performance is better and the power draw is surprisingly lower. The Xeon I used for reference has a tray cost of $4115. The opteron I used is actually not currently for sale at the moment, but the lower clocked version, the AMD Opteron 6380 is currently on Newegg for $1110. Keep in mind the opteron I used, which is better performing, is going to cost more and I was using four of those for comparison, so whatever the single higher price is, you'll need to multiply that by four.

Price is determined by demand and how the product compares to ready available replacements. If our CPU can only score a 10 we can try to price it against something that scores a 15 (very broad generalization, there are other things that come into play like power efficiency and what not). Intel has more efficient CPUs but this also cost them alot to make, having more engineers, high cost fabrication, more marketing, etc. Another thing that comes into play is that intel has products that are considerably faster then anything AMD has to offer, and since there is no replacement they just charge as they please. I can assure you that if Zen drops and destorys what intel has currently I bet we will see a 6 core on a consumer platform to beat it. But so is the way of a good capitalistic market.