AMD Vega frontier edition announced

You know AMD didn't give any samples out or just haven't seen reviews yet? Although the frontier edition is not gamer/consumer oriented I still think its a weird thing do to.

Alike to the strategy they took with the pro duo, not many samples out. PC World has one, but I don't think anyone else has one out in the press.

That's because it is.

Yes it will.

You can choose gaming or Pro drivers.

One of the head guys at Anandtech said he hasn't heard of any outlet receiving one but said it wasn't particularly surprising

Interesting. I heard earlier that it wasn't in a video but now reading through the Anandtech article it says it will be getting radeon pro drivers and gaming drivers, and that the control panel will allow people to switch between them. That's a new one.

that's too bad, as many people (including me) are really curious to know how it compares to other cards. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for proper benchmarks yet.

So no NDA up at the moment for this gpu? I hope @wendell can pull some strings and give us a thorough review.

Yeah was announced a while ago now. Raja even stated quite clearly this isn't a card for gamers on Twitter and Reddit.

It can be used for game development and has a "gaming mode" for that purpose but it is much more on the pro side of things with focus on Fp16 and deep learning. That's why they were comparing it to the P100 primarily.

Really isn't much at all like a Titan which, other than the original, is just a stupidly expensive GeForce card.

AFAIK there isn't one although it is very vague. Some people have them apparently like private pro user people not media people.

Probably in between a 1080 and a 1080 Ti for the RX Vega card. Closer to 1080 Ti than 1080 tho

Nothing concrete yet of course but the little we have seen points to that

soontm intensifies
My father ordered 2 for work today, of the air cooled ones.
Well actually preordered them. Still.
May get my hands on one or both for testing when they show up.

He is expecting them on the 29th as newegg also indicates? Tell your father it would be greatly appreciated by this community if he could miss them a couple of hours for some benchmarking :innocent:

From what I can tell, this card will dominate the pro space. And be not bad at gaming, I.e. more or less titan Xp... Xpp? Whatever. Level performance but that's just from the pcworld video ... And they didnt exactly have FPS counters on that lol so there may be a 5-10% (or more?) difference between the two systems as I doubt 3440x1440 is that hard to run for either the Titan or Frontier Edition card in DOOM anyway.

But I will definitely do what I can to test the two cards out, may even do an "1800X and Dual Frontier Editions in Crossfire: AMD insanity build" if at all possible.
And no I don't really have any info beyond what's out there, so yeah.

Well so far FE vega has really meh gaming drivers but the pro drivers work well so there's that. Will probably be able to test the cards later next week but not sure yet when.

As far as I can tell its like the Firepro W8100 was at launch in a lot of ways, great for pro use and awesome for the price but kindof meh at gaming. (At least the Aircooled ones).

Yesterday pcper had a vega bechmark livestream up. Couldnt watch it for long, but from what I saw it was the same-ish conclusion. Now lets wait and see how unpolished these early gaming drivers are, and if they bother to improve them at all

1 Like

5 Likes

Oh wow you actually followed though, kudos! I am not in the position to check the results now, but thumbs up mate! Will definitely check it tomorrow.

Was only able to test a few things but still. In any case the subs I did are on Hwbot on the above linked profile.
Pretty impressive Compute performance, drivers are wonky as hell for gaming though especially when in Crossfire. Time spy did OK but the rest... Not so well.

2 Likes

I'm waiting to see some "Radeon FineWine" updates in about 2 months, The Infinity fabric, addressable memory space and other technologies on this card are yet to be covered.

2 Likes

Yep. I mean in Firestrike there was still glitches, ala this one. On the left side of the screen.

So once everything is ironed out will be interesting to retest.

On Pro applications, Infinity fabric should be what ties both cards together... In theory so that is definitely a ways away.

Lol youre still the only one to submit a vega crossfire score. But indeed the screenshot probably tells more then the scores, looking forward to see how much performance can be gained with driver optimization. Looks like there is lots of room for improvement, but for now not too impressive results unfortunately.
What workloads will the system see when in production?

GamersNexus was able to increase Vega's performance and lower the wattage a tad by under-volting it a little. Dropped the thermals some too.