AMD turbo on linux?

And hp uses the cheapest solutions available,

sad but true

and you are going to have higher temps when doing intense stuff. Run mprime. If it crashes then it is thermal throttling,

This should help

http://mersenneforum.org/gimps/p95v286.linux64.tar.gz

Extract the contents to a folder of your choice or create one specifically for Prime95. Navigate to this folder and open a terminal and execute this command "./mprime".
It should ask you a few questions as to how to torture test your computer and away you go.

how long should I run it current running max heat and fpu test

I would test for 3 hours with small ffts and around 1 and a half with large

Well that will be a wile. What I a good program to check temps? right now it temp read only 70c how ever will now turbo up to 2300mhz its just staying at about 1900mhz how ever the GPU is not getting much use.

Prime primarily stresses ram and the cpu. I find it odd it isn't consistently at 2.3 however it could be in fact thermal throttling.

On Debian/Ubuntu run

sudo apt-get install lm-sensors hddtemp psensor

And then use psensors which n is a graphical front end

it been running for a hour now and has not gone passed 72c

At what frequency?

1900mhz

Large or small ffts?

not sure I just ran the FPU test on all core because it said heat stress test, then used all cores.

Testing with the small ffts should ramp up the frequency

I think @caveman had a similar phenomenon going on with his processor minus the fact that it ass overclocked.

In all honesty, do you notice the difference? 400mhz doesn't seem like something worth going through all of this for.

Have you poked around the bios and was there an option similar to speedstep? If so, disabke it.

Its a HP they don't let you change much im lucky to chose my boot device

I think the store screwed you and Windows is a lier

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=hp+Pavilion+17&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xhp+Pavilion+17+4500m.TRS0&_nkw=hp+Pavilion+17+4500m&_sacat=0

Acording to the listing max turbo is in fact 1.9ghz

yea it might not seem like much but it ~20% increase being under 2ghz to start. however I know its not liner how ever it would be nice.

Well... I just found this:

Linux for whatever reason doesn't display turbo when it in fact is being used... Problem solved lol :)

I poked around in AMD overdrive wile I was using windows and the computer Max turbo was set to 2.3ghz I know the chip can go up to 2.7ghz.