AMD Threadripper - Issues Installing VMware ESXi 6.5 on Threadripper Build

Hi everyone,

i’m currently facing some issues with a build that I built around 2/3 weeks ago.

I’m trying to setup my own ESXi lab as i’m trying to prepare myself for the Vmware VCP certification.

After hours trying to first nest the virtualization of the appliance in Hyper-V, I’ve decided to try to install the Hypervisor directly instead.

After lots of attempts, unfortunately i’m always getting a PSOD during the direct installation.

At the moment i’m at work so I cannot post the specific errors, however when I get back home i’ll update this with the Screenshot.

So far i’ve tried to disable SMT as some people suggested to do in the past for the R7 CPUs, however that did not do the trick.

I’m trying to install the latest build of ESXi available in the VMware page.

Any suggestions of additional functionalities that can be disabled / Modified to get this to work? Or the best option may be to wait a bit more?

My specs are the following:

1900x Threadripper
16 GB RAM Corsair LPX
Asus X399-A
GTX 1080

Thanks in Advance for any replies.

Without an error code, I’m just taking shots in the dark here but I’ll give some easy suggestions.

First thing I would try is going into the UEFI and make sure VT-d, VT-x, and/or AMD-V are enabled. While this shouldn’t prevent you from installing ESXi, it will be beneficial regardless. Keep SMT off just to simplify things.

I’d also double check to make sure you are indeed using the latest build of ESXi (6.5 U2 maybe?). VMware is not known for lightening fast adoption of new tech, so until EYPC is more widespread I could see there being some issues.

Be sure you’re using the ESXi 6.5 U1 to install, as that update was supposed to add support for Zen based processors.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll download the version again just to be on the safe side and try again.

I will also try the steps from DigitalBytes and see if the issue still remains.

Alternatively I might also try KVM and see if the issue is the same.

So I did further testing and troubleshooting, unfortunately with the version of ESXi advised, the issue is still the same.

I’ll be trying to use KVM instead of ESXi. The only issue that is mainly reported is PCIe pass through, due to a known bug.

I’ll try to update this thread with further results, but this can be considered as resolved for now.

Proxxxxxmoooxxxxxxxx

proxmox

I actually didn’t check proxmox when it comes to compatibility. I’ll have a look also and update the thread.

what board were you working on? Disable smt for the install, update, re-enable smt?

Hey Wendell,

I’m currently using an Asus X399-A motherboard. I’ve already tried to disable SMT and install ESXi, however i’m getting a PSOD during the install process.

I’ll see if I can get a screenshot / photo of the errors uploaded to the page. Unfortunately in the past few days with the storm here in Ireland was a bit insane, so i’m trying to catch up with it.

I’ll keep you guys posted once I start testing again.

2 Likes

Any luck with installing ESXI?

Hey Man. Apologies for not updating this sooner, but its been pretty crazy for me lately, specially with a promotion that I managed to get recently.

After further analysis, I was able to find out that Epyc Support has been added by VMware, and I will be trying this again soon (Since Threadripper looks to be like a nerfed Epyc CPU, and the architecture is kinda the same, I think it should work). Also another thread that I followed recently about this can be found at https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/72ula0/tr1950x_gtx_1060_passthrough_with_esxi/ .

There is also a post in the Overclockers Uk Forums that I have been following for a while about this. You can check the page https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/home-lab-threadripper-build-thread.18789497/ .

I’ll be trying to get this done later on during Q1, Most likely after mid February, but in the meantime if I do anything else or if I find any further documentation I will update this thread.

Also I’ve been talking with some friends of mine that work within VMware to see if they have any other info / workarounds, but nothing so far.