AMD Threadripper 3970X under heavy AVX2 load: Defective design? (No, but there is an issue)

I will post an update in a few days (this week).

2 Likes

You could go for TR but choose a different motherboard vendor, AFAIK only Gigabyte boards suffered from this defect. But yikes, with 100 units on the line, I understand if you would rather not risk it.

I cannot reproduce this behaviour at stock settings with my 3960X and AsRock TRX40 Creator. If I lower the core voltage too much, I can observe the instant-fails at 16K FFT AVX2. So I guess AsRock boards are not affected?

2 Likes

Maybe…

Most complaints from what i read are Gigabyte board users,
mostly the Master and the Extreme boards in particular.

1 Like

Looking forward to any updates regarding this. About to boot up my 3970x and aorus master soon. Was AMD able ro reproduce this issue?

1 Like

I’m seeing a fail within minutes on workers 19 and 20 with avx2 on and 16k ffts. Runs for hours with avx2 off.

Asus Zenith II Extreme Alpha + 3970x

1 Like

Hi,

A couple of us are working with AMD to investigate what exactly is going on. At this point the problem is still not fully understood and more tests need to be carried out. Hopefully we’ll have more substantial news in the following days. Please watch this thread for further updates.

Franz

1 Like

You still working with @dprairie_AMD or other people from AMD?

Drew and a few engineers at AMD.

1 Like

Is this something that is fixable via AMD agesa update? Seems to be more widespread than just gigabyte motherboards at this point

I think this is something Buildzoid can actually test. The “murder” FFT for Prime95 varies between CPU series and it does look like this is gonna be one of those for Threadripper. 8086K is 120K FFTs in-place.

It’s about suppressing the noise from the CPU, so those boards with more capacitors might actually do better.

2 Likes

FranzB, can you post your serial number so we can compare?

Which serial master? The CPU’s one?

Franz,

When you have the prime95 fail, is it only 1 or 2 workers or several more?

Another thing to note, we’re running similar power supplies, you the hx1000i, me the hx1200i.

1 Like

In the past people have posted the lid serial number. That helps determine the batch I think.

Many workers (>= 8), haven’t let it run long enough to see if they stop dying at some point (I would assume so).

Can I get the lid serial number without removing the heatsink?

I think it is on the Box. Otherwise Like On my system I have to remove the heatsink and thermal paste.

Ok, I’m indeed seeing a part number on the box. Sending it to you in PM.

Thanks

I am also having this issue and discovered this post. I noticed that there was a new firmware released by GIGABYTE (F4B) on 3/4/19. Has this fixed it for anyone? I haven’t tried it yet.

Luckily I bought my parts from Amazon so I am thinking I am going to be doing a lot of returns and going with the new 2nd gen Intel Xeon Cascade Lake processor and board now that Intel has lowered their prices significantly.