AMD Security Issues

Some related digging by a savvy redditor

Don’t forget to upvote. :wink:
I think their efforts deserve at least some reward.

First indication I’ve seen that there even is any proof of concept code:

1 Like

Let me guess, the same 13 Russians who were spreading fake news.

From Viceroy:

In light of CTS discoveries, the meteoric rise of AMD’s stock sppears to be totally unjustified. We believe AMD is worth $0.00.

Viceroy is definitely part of this shit.

3 Likes

No ofcourse it was the Aztecs.

3 Likes

I thought the Romans and Caesar were behind this one.

4 Likes

What a cunt… hey, if I run this malicious code that replaces the proper code and it screws things up allowing me to takeover the machine the exploits are real!!!11111 Of fuckin course you can do anything when you run malicious code. If I wipe a computer and put my OS on it I can run that OS all I want! Jesus H Christ.

Dan is a good guy. He doesn’t take this kind of stuff lightly.
I will vouch for him.

Seems hypocritical to say one thing and then defend a company for doing exactly what you just shamed 2 weeks ago.

My comment should be seen as an open ended stub, I really don’t know too much other than the reddit thread and what’s on here.

politicians usually require duffle bags of money to change oppinions.
Where as civilians can usually be argued with, and if you make sense,
they can see your point.

Let’s focus on his closing message:

Everything he says (@catsay’s vouch carrying weight) is true. He’s coming across quite objective for a couple reasons:

1. He appears to be pretty transparent about it
  2. He’s not remarking on the stock at all. Some places are calling for AMD to go through bankruptcy procedures because of something that’s maybe 1/50 of the severity of the Great Intel Meltdown™ of 2018, however Dan is not.

That’s called “classicism”, not politics.

@wuliheron
@Lauritzen

RULE 2: NO POLITICS

This is an interesting discussion. I DO NOT want this topic locked.

5 Likes

i yield i yield.
No politics!

1 Like

My problem is virtually anything in the world can be exploited with the level of privileges required to use these exploits. Doesn’t matter if its the 8086 or ARM or AMD or Intel… with top privileges in an OS you are gonna be able to create havoc.

3 Likes

That’s the thing. If you’re able to flash the bios, a more reasonable thing to do would be to just take the whole fucking computer.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Would he have spent all morning talking to reporters if associated “companies” had operated in due process?

No, but that’s not Dan’s fault. He appears to have been trying to correct the record, rather than spread the FUD.

Right… which is my problem with Dan. Are they vulnerabilities… I guess so if you do 10 steps including actually getting a hold of the machine yes. And I am sure there are plenty of other vulnerabilities if we are going to look at what happens to a CPU when malicious BIOS is loaded onto a machine. And rightfully so engineers that design this shit are like… if someone gets to THAT level they are going to just take the damned thing anyways or there is absolutely nothing that can be done to stop this shit physical level of access.