AMD Ryzen vs Alder Lake, what to possible get?

Hi and happy new year.

Are there any rumours around AMD’s trying to come against Intel’s Alder Lake?

I know it’s two different designs of CPU’s where Alder Lake more looks like Apple Silicon.

I am in the situration where I need a new computer, having a i7-4790k with a GTX 760 makes it not possible to play many games.
Being a SRE/DevOps and also gamer, makes it kinda hard to choose which CPU now.
Before Alder Lake i was team AMD for a Ryzen 5900X or 5950X but now with i9-12900k makes me question myself.

If AMD doesn’t plan to come with an update in 2022 to compete against Alder Lake, then I feel it’s obvious to go with Intel.

It’ll definitely be worth seeing if AMD are going to announce anything over CES, from the 5th to the 8th of this month.

The only potentially immediately available new products will be part of a Zen 3 refresh with their 3D V-Cache tech, which should bring single-threaded performance back in line with Alder Lake.

oh, that is interesting.
I will be waiting then.

Any new builds any way in this class is 5K USD anyway.

As long as it’s “does my workflow really need this extra performance right away?” Because that’s what it boils down to: does your workflow improve and/or benefit considerably from a costly upgrade now. As you’re a gamer, I’d argue not.

Should you want a decent upgrade anyway, I’d suggest a Ryzen 7 2700 CPU on a B550 mainboard with 32GB RAM and a 1TB NVMe OS drive. Costs you considerably less then an Intel 12th gen system, never mind the new AMD offerings coming this year (which will be scalped, just like any other PC hardware we’ve seen over the past 24 months :roll_eyes: ) If you also need a new GPU, consider the 4750G or 5700G APU’s instead. Costs more (about twice the 2700), but has a decent GPU build in.

It’s a valid point for sure.
I am just the type of guy that don’t want “cheap stuff” just to save the buck.
I do know that 5950x is in the high-end and my workflow has def changed but that is probably because my rig hasn’t been updated since i bought it in 2012.

It would def change again if i got an upgraded rig where i could learn tech that uses more resources.

I went from a non k 4770 to a 5900x. Its been great all round except I’m so fucking tired of how loud the system runs in comparison to my old setup. My old setup was practically silent, this is irritatingly loud and the Gigabyte Aorus fan controller isn’t giving me full control over how I’d like the fans and AIO pump to operate so its got this dull droning noise and then when the 5900x flexes a bit and crosses about 65c every fan maxes out for 3-4 seconds before going back to idle.

AMDs swan song for AM4, will be addt’l L3 cache [guess a matter of hearing stipulations req’d to host it]

Anything other CPU, will be brand spanking new series [likely DDR5 only, 5nm node mfr. process, etc.]

Does this sound relevant to you problem?

Thats not my issue at all. I can get the fans running silently and the cooling performance is amazing (idle at 25c, peaks out around 65+). I just can’t get the AIO to stop making the dull droning noise at any speeds. I’m pretty sure I just have a bad pump and need to use my warranty but that means no main PC until thats resolved, I have a few things I can try but I’m thinking I should just get a large noctua or equal aircooler first then see about the warranty.

Oh, it was your pump that was making sound. Sorry, misread.

Seems to be. I’m hoping its not and that its just something else. The Aorus Smart Fan software is pretty dam bad, I’ve seen it several times give up and get stuck unable to change my case fan speeds correctly and shit its brains out while I was trying to change the fan speeds myself, that and its slow, bloated, ugly, and lacks any granular control over the fan curves. It mirrors the UEFI fan control options which are just as bad.
The whole Gigabyte suite seems to be really bad, not only is it constantly trying to sneak Norton Internet Security onto my PC every update but the RGB software has this lovely habit of keeping one core from going to sleep so I have this giant orange glow pissing from the back of the IO shield. If I had known how irritating this crap is I wouldn’t have bought Gigabyte.

1 Like

I would also like to mention to take a look into the intel 12700K (F) as well.
I mean that cpu basically has the same amount of performance cores,
as the 12900K 8C / 16T.
The only difference is that the 12700K only has 4 efficient cores instead of 8 on the 12900k,
and 5MB less cache.
So unless you could really take a huge advantage of those additional efficiency cores?
You could very well just get the 12700K or KF (if you don’t need a igpu),
instead of the 12900K i guess.
That would make it a little bit more interesting comparison to AMD price wise.

1 Like

Hi, I am also sitting with my current system of 1950x asus x399 Prime, 1070, 128gb. Am thinking what would be the best way to go 5950x or 12900 none K version, mainly work in 3d rendering and video rendering, only want to be stable and quite system , don’t want to overclock, even thinking of lowering the power limits . Would like to what people say and if some of you have the none K version, how it performs vs 5950x, should I even change and sell, the system because nothing comes close to x399 . Thank you for any info.

IF you’re not running off of W11, them 12th gen Core chips are being hampered, to scheduler ASAP

I can tell you that the 12th gen chips will be quite a bit hotter than Zen3. The 5950x uses around 140W under peak load… Intel is using 180+W…

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.