AMD Ryzen Part 2: 4-way Ryzen vs Intel: Double Blind Experiment (Part 2 of 3) | Level One Techs

This is part 2 of our testing! Part 3 will be out tomorrow, which is a frame-by-frame benchmark deep-dive.

We will leave no stone unturned in the "smoothness" debate. Stay tuned. Not to be clickbaity but the results will surprise you.

When we were doing our testing, we were hoping that there would be a clear and away "winner" in some category -- elevated fps (85hz), smoothness, subjective feelings, etc.

None of us could say with certainty that any one system was much better or much worse than the others. None of the systems offered a bad experience.

GTA V on the 5960X system, subjectively, was the most interesting result.

System 1:
Asus Strix X99
Intel 5960X @ 4.2ghz
GSkill 16-16-16-38 DDR4 @3200 (dual channel)
(silly x99 and still having memory compatibility issues)
Intel 750 1.2tb SSD

System 2:
ASRock X370 Taichi
Ryzen 1800x @ 4.1ghz
GSkill DDR4-3200 @ 16-16-16-34 3200mhz
OCZ RD400 NVMe

System 3:
ASUS Strix Z270g uAtX
Intel 7700k @ 4.5ghz
GSkill DDR4-3200 @ 16-16-16-34 3200mhz
Intel 750 1.2tb SSD

All systems used the NVidia GTX 1080, but we also did some pre-test testing with the ASUS Strix Fury to rule out nvidia/driver/dx11/dx12 issues. There is something interesting there, but the performance gap was there between the i7and ryzen.

Part 3 will be out tomorrow, and is a deep-dive with methodology and hard numbers on GTA V, and our analysis of those numbers.

And some more follow-up for the "smoothness" debate.

Note that even though we (maybe) had "less" problems with the AMD systems, they were not clear and away winners from the other systems. No system offered a bad experience; the subjective differences were very, very minor. But we captured the data too!

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACaq3C4ONY

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://level1techs.com/video/amd-ryzen-part-2-4-way-ryzen-vs-intel-double-blind-experiment-part-2-3
10 Likes

Uuhh... first haha

Uhm, part 2 of 3? Did I miss part 1? I can't find it, or did this one slip through? :slight_smile:

For a wild card could have thrown ArmA 3 in there just to shuffle things up.
It doesn't perform consistently on anything and i3's run as good as i7's with it sometimes XD

But Good test. Is there a chart or log by any chance for which systems who noticed what? Because science... we must write down :smiley:

1 Like

I remember reading what would be considered part 1, but forgot the thread name. :frowning:

This maybe?

2 Likes

Is this not part 1?

EDIT: nvm, it is not. The post above ( post 5 ) contains the real part 1.

Ok Lets call that part 1 and the other part 1 is now part 0.

Oh these Off by one errors. Get us everytime

2 Likes

@wendell

What is that tv yall were using?

Crossover 55 Korean jeeby

Excellent video! No bullshitting around over canned benchmarks and spreadsheets but real world, unbiased, apples to apples gaming experience.

1 Like

The results the industry experts don't want you to see!!!!

2 Likes

THE TRUTH! You won't believe ...... !!!!

Or the linus edition:

HOLY SH*#! The ULTIMATE Intel vs. AMD vs. Nvidia SHOOTOUT in 8K

1 Like

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that video turned up in my subscription feed later.

Yeah, and part 2-8 over the next 4 months...

And the idiots on the AMD subreddit are already having a stroke over this and claiming you're biased.... smh

Wendell is never biased. Wendell laughs at the above statement of acquisition.

2 Likes

we'll have the graph of the minor differences tomorrow, they can wait it out.

whether you are team red or team blue, you will be able to pick out something that is "far and away" making it the clear winner.

I have a 5820k and a 1700. The clear winner in my opinion is the one with two additional cores for the same price. Not that it performs better in games which I find myself doing fairly often. Both perform strongly but I keep a VM running in the background when I game often with a bluray movie playing two. It helps to have the extra two cores/ four threads imo.

RYZEN NEW 2019, What NASA doesn't want you to know!

:white_check_mark: YD1700BBAEBOX
:white_check_mark: F4-3200C14D-16GFX
:negative_squared_cross_mark: X370 Taichi

You were talking about a zip file for the rise of the tomb raider testing. What type of data is in that? Is it frame times by chance? I was toying with the idea of figuring out a better way to present frame times compared to "frame time vs frame number" graphs.

1 Like