AMD Radeon VII - Crashes

For those who have the AMD Radeon VII, have you had to RMA your card due to memory corruption issues / hard crashing the system. I had this problem before. My first VII was when it first came out. I’ve used it for a while until I finally confirmed that it was a hardware problem and returned it for replacement. I assumed it was a one off problem and that they’d get me a card that was working. I don’t play games all to much, so that didn’t matter to me. It only crashes when I play games. RMA sent and new card arrives. Everything is mostly fine. I can play games again in my off time under linux and windows.

It’s now been … 6 months since I’ve had this card and I’m once again having crashes with the Radeon VII in my system. Hard, full system reboots. Both on Linux and on Windows. Very disappointing from a customer perspective as this is a $700 card and I’ve had two of them at this point. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their cards?

Going to send this one back, but this time for a refund. This is just getting silly at this point. I’m guessing this was the reason for the EOL status.

1 Like

I’ve now had a couple of random crashes that causes Windows to bugcheck and was thinking it was related to the recent driver updates.

I’m going to run DDU and reboot and then install the older 19.2 version driver package.

Once I complete this I will monitor and see if this happens again.

Running a Radeon VII with my Threadripper 2950x and 64GB of RAM.

What drivers? WQHL Recommended drivers from November (I believe 19.9.2?) are the last stable drivers for me, anything newer is eeeeeh and Adrenaline 2020 is just garbage. Constant blackscreens forcing a full system restart, both in F@H and in games, I think I may have had it do it once just at idle too.

Runs like a champ under Linux. Maybe I got lucky …

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.