AMD Radeon RX 6000 series

which is good for anyone on a rolling release distro, but sucks for those on ubuntu / pop etc

1 Like

They missed the “electronic boogaloo” opportunity.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Not buying it, regardless, because of the missed opportunity.

5 Likes

Since I only care about having CUDA/Optix on Linux, AMD has a chance to be nice on my flight sim (windows) pc, but maybe next spring since the 1080Ti in that one now is doing fine. :small_airplane: :smile_cat:

November 15th launch day
SKUs include 6800, 6800XT, 6900

6800XT shows performance similar to the RTX 3080, 6800 shows performance similar to the RTX 2080 Ti

Now all they need to do is get their stock together, get their drivers better than the 5700XT launch, and they might have a better launch than the RTX 30 series launch.

2 Likes

I’m really hoping that AMD starts getting used for machine learning by the general community. 16GB of ram would be really good for models

Already there is a Rocm tensorflow branch. If these cards get popular, maybe it will become something more than a side project.

6 Likes

Indeed.

2 Likes

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

3 Likes

Oh, iDK anything about machine learning, just want fast(er) Blender Cycles rendering. :smiley:

1 Like

Hmmm, actually watched this.

wait for benchmarks intensifies

Also, watching for waterblocks.

4 Likes

“Rage” mode tickles my nostalgia.

3 Likes

Haven’t got a clue, haven’t you? Linux is actually the most used OS on the planet. It’s just not so prevalent on the desktop, let alone any gamers systems. The worlds of AI, internet and servers-of-various-sorts are powerhouses for Linux, Android has its origins in Linux, your embedded devices (IoT !!) run Linux, you name it, it has Linux onboard running it.

just because you’re not interested in it and can’t actually see it with your own eyes doesn’t mean it’s not there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Linux for gaming is not a huge market.

These GPUs are for Gaming.

These GPUs are not targeted for Linux.

Don’t kid yourself by conflating non-equal units.

All that said, these GPUs will probably be good because they’ll actually have stock. *I hope

12 Likes

First impressions are that they seem decent and much better than their last two gens. I’m concerned that when Nvidia moves back to TSMC, that they will not be able to keep up, but for now it seems fine.

Yeah, we shall see.

Mosty Nvidia cards

Not all need gpu

Honestly Linux doesnt really matter with desktop cards, to be honest.

(I have AMD stock and All AMD system, not a Nvidia fan boy)

4 Likes

The recent build for my friend has a 5700 XT in it and that card is actually pretty great. Very good card for the money.

But when the attention of the tech media was on cards like the 2080 Ti it seemed pale in comparison since said media seems to focus on raw performance and not always on value.

1 Like

Did they decide to let loose when they saw Nvidia’s power in their high end?

1 Like

Nah.

I think the 6900x will overclock to be Hot And Loud™

2 Likes

like none founders or non top tier Nvidia cards

I could be misremembering, but I thought they had just about the same price/perf as the 2000 series but worse perf/watt. And tons of driver bugs for the first year or so.

Whereas according to the take with a grain of salt number AMD has put out, the 6000 series is better than the Nvidia 3000 series perf/watt, but again around the same price/perf.