AMD Radeon RX 6000 series

As long as it’s painful for them…

The prices are bad here.

Im looking at buying a ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Taichi Fits nicely with my x570 taichi mainboard :slight_smile:

i do have a “Seasonic Prime Ultra 750 Titanium” would that be enough for this one. they say 750-800 Watt PSU so i think im fine with this one. Just wondering. i have a quite some years older Seasonic 1000 Watt platinum psu but the 750 is much newer.

The 750W should be fine. They say 800 recommended, bit you aren’t running 2011V3 with 300W CPU power draw and 20 fans and Leads and a bunch of HDD and SSDs… Ryzen is pretty efficient, say 300W for the GPU and 300W for the rest of the system and that leaves you with quite a buffer for power spikes…

1 Like

No i run a x570 with 3700x 2nvme and 1 hdd.

750w is plenty.

2 Likes

I know this comment is quite old but I was going through unread stuff and happened to come across this…

So here’s the issue: The problem with releasing for Linux is not so much the initial development cost, it is the continued support after release.
Case in point: Deus Ex Mankind Divided has a native Linux port, always had (“always” meaning it was released just barely 2 months after the initial release), and while it worked perfectly fine at release, it keeps crashing with up to date Linux systems (source: tried it a couple of months ago). Running the Windows version through Proton has no such issues.
Case in point #2: Undertale has a native Linux version that worked perfectly fine on release, but does not even start anymore on current versions due to outdated/missing libs (source: tried it earlier this year). Granted I tried this on Fedora, but from what I read online it is the same for Ubuntu (while 16.04 or something is officially supported).
Case in point #3: Tomb Raider (2013) has a native Linux port, and while it still works, the performance is abysmal in certain map areas because it runs on OpenGL rather then Vulkan (as opposed to later ports by Feral Interactive like Rise/Shadow of the Tombraider and (I think) Hitman). Also fun fact: save games are not compatible between the Linux and Windows versions.

You get the point. Games on Windows once developed tend to work indefinitely unless something dramatically changes in the underlying software/driver stack on Windows, which is rarely the case. On Linux, since the ecosystem is so different, games tend to break after a certain amount of time and for a developer it is not worth either risking bad reviews (because we know how much of a dickhead the Linux community can be, see also: The Witcher 2), or keeping it up to date for little benefit, especially since the majority of sales tends to happen in the first couple of months after release.

This is especially true now that most games run perfectly fine on WINE/Proton with no additional work from the developer. Most developers will not intentionally break stuff running in WINE (and some might even do changes depending how much work it is), but no developer officially supports WINE because the risk is the same as with native Linux versions - WINE could change and break the game (although they could recommend a specific WINE version of course).

Don’t get me wrong, I like Linux and I am gaming on Fedora for a good 2 years now, but the reality is that it is not worth it for developers to support the platform until something changes in the long-term support. And no, LTS versions are not the solution here. People will not be keeping an Ubuntu 16.04 install around so they can play Undertale when they feel like it.

2 Likes

Remember that when they do the recommendations they look at the bottom of the barrel for PSUs, i.e. the ones that explode when you get anywhere near their “rated” wattage.

If you have a quality PSU you can squeeze a lot more out of it.

The big solution proton provides is that seamless support layer that so many older Linux games are simply missing

1 Like

Yes, Valve is really doing a lot of work on that and I commend them for it. At the same time I also want stuff without DRM, so I’m torn on every purchase, but that’s a whole different can of worms.

1 Like

I’ve stopped giving a damn, there’s always arrrg for abandonware.

It’s also worth noting that proton seems to be the best experience for a lot of legacy games. Talking xp and earlier.

Even better than actually dragging out an xp box.

3 Likes

I do play cyberpunk 2077 on my linux PC with my OLD gpu just fine. i do run it on a somewhat lower resolution but i still get 50-70 FPS. and no weird artifacts at all.

that is true if they say 800 Watt for a bronze or not even bronze and a 750 titanium should do fine as that is like 94% ? instead of ± 80% that is a big difference

If linux get a higher % due to proton some might even look and try to support proton/wine better. That might also be easyer/cost less than a full linux port/game.

1 Like

Oh, it’s so much easier.

But this is getting a bit off topic, I think.

That’s true, especially if you still have phyiscal stuff with SecuROM and friends…

It’s not just about the efficiency, it’s about the build quality. There are well-built Bronze PSUs that will smash any cheap shit PSU anytime.

Yes, pretty much my point. Although I don’t see companies marketing towards Proton usage just yet. At maximum they would probably “certify” for one specific version, maybe retest on a newer version every now and then (considering Proton doesn’t have “real” releases all that often to begin with, that wouldn’t be a huge deal anyway).

All games really have to do is just adhere to standard APIs because that’s what’s implemented in WINE.
Witcher 3 for example didn’t throw a single warning in the ~100h I let the log run on the side.

1 Like

1 thing i am happy about that AMD does. Its working great on linux out of the box on the latest Ubuntu etc.

So like Wendell also said the 6800 is very nice on linux

Another thing AMD does pretty well is fairly strictly adhering to the APIs and not doing any custom mumbojumbo. Helps a lot with game support, especially under WINE too (adding to the last point in my previous post).

3 Likes

nam-flashbacks

3 Likes

I’m interested in the 6800 card… For a passthrough only. Should I even target that card or should I choose RX 5700 XT since it seems easier to pass to a VM, or am I wrong?

The 6800 does not have the reset bug, but the 5700 does have the reset bug. The 6800 is by far the better card for passthrough because of that.

3 Likes