[AMD/RADEON] Navi NextGen™ GPU Rumors & News TINFOIL HAT Edition

I kind of want one as well. It is overkill on Vram etc but sure.

Waiting for navi is the smart choice for me. I dont do productivity workloads.

Also when I early adopted RX480 on linux it took 6-9 months for the drivers to settle down.

1 Like

Same.

But I want a R-VII need is out of the question really.

In regards to Radeon VII on linux

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Radeon-VII-Linux-Driver-Expect

1 Like

Calling it 7 is a good move, after all Vega II shortened to V II or V2 is a bit on the edge.

That said I fully expect a black and white card that will make it even worse image wise but also grab headlines.

Aaaaaaannndd phoronix is giving me nVidia ads in the AMD article. Gg.

1 Like

Well they could hardly call it 64 again due to lowering the compute units from 64 to 60 :smiley:

Sometimes see a lot of sneaky moves done through advertising.

on amazon, intel had specifically targeted the phrase ‘amd laptops’ back when I was searching for one.

if I didnt type in amd I got the normal results page

it was only when I searched using the term ‘AMD laptops’ that I got the intel ads :smiley:

Sneaky

1 Like

I’m mostly curious if the Radeon VII will have the reset bug fixed. I might get one if so.

2 Likes

That is likely not the case now. Pre Polaris AMD did not have the driver fully opened and integrated into the mainline kernel.

Now they do, and there have been Vega20 related patches going into the Linux kernel for well over 6 months now. Pretty sure almost a year.

1 Like

Hopefully it is sorted as quickly as the RX590.

1 Like

Phoronix has an article about that.

Since its a Vega refresh it should only take some IDs to make the R-VII work and AMD pushed a bunch of IDs in the last couple of week, so we should be fine.

Michael added tho that in LTS kernels in the major distros you may need to update the kernel to a 4.20 kernel, but we’ll see.

1 Like

That’s still the case for Vega 10 if you want better performance. :slight_smile:

(edit: well, not necessarily as far as 4.20, but you definitely need to upgrade from the LTS kernel)

I’d say it should be similar turn-around.

When polaris came out there was a backlog of huge amounts of AMD patches to be integrated for open driver support. Really large amount of code.

All the groundwork is done now, additional AMD cards should be relatively trivial to support, especially if they’re just a new revision of an existing architecture.

We are really excited to start on the high end with our 7nm Radeon VII […] and you will see the announcements over the course of the year as we refresh across our Radeon program.
— Mark Papermaster

WE WILL GET REFRESHES THIS YEAR!!!

somewhere i hinted at that, its easy…

I guess we’ll see another R-VII refresh and I do wonder if we’ll get a polaris on 7nm… At this point i kinda wanna see it :joy:

I doubt you’ll see another polaris refresh.

I’d expect re-badging (no real architecture change) of the 480/580/590 to be say 660, the single vega refresh and Navi will be the new mainstream-high-end (e.g., R9-290 equivalent, whereas Radeon VII is the Fury equivalent like Vega 56/64 was).

1 Like

no!

i want a polaris refresh every year until arcturus drops :triumph:

1 Like

Polaris can live on in Kaby/Coffee/Icey/whiskey/whatever-Lake G

:smiley:

(as i understand it, intel didn’t get proper vega there, it’s mostly a polaris refresh with some vega features).

1 Like

So the naming scheme will go:
Radeon Vega 56/64
Radeon 7
Radeon Vega 3…

Yeah as much as calling it V2 outright might not have looked good if they do it this way at least it makes sense and looks like a continuous family.

1 Like

VideoCardz have now “confirmed” that the new Radeon-VII is Navi:

confirmed that R-VII == Navi

The file named “AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext” lists Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10 and Navi 9. These are likely the names for product variants, not codenames of four different processors. In other words, the numbers should describe how many Compute Units are enabled for each device.

This matches, that the R-VII is consumer flavor of the enterprise GPU and is now used for Apple Products.

1 Like

TLDR

AMD’s Lisa said it was Vega. Adored said it was Vega. Navi hit a speed bump…

I’ll go read the fucking article and eat my words perhaps. :slight_smile:

From the article

AMD’s upcoming Navi graphics processors have been discovered in MacOS Mojave update source code. The file named “AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext” lists Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10 and Navi 9. These are likely the names for product variants, not codenames of four different processors. In other words, the numbers should describe how many Compute Units are enabled for each device.

Radeon VII is a singular product one SKU. Vega 2, 7nm, 16Gb HBM.

Navi is not released yet. Source code, for it on MAC OS or Linux is just a precursor for its launch.

Guesstimated at mid year now instead of CES.

3 Likes

It is Vega.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/the-lounge-2019-01-january-cpubg-gets-banned-again-edition/136855/22039?u=tsk

Could you link the text instead of making me dive in to the pool of waste?

1 Like

Navi is a console and up tech that seems to target Nvidia’s 2070 at the top end.

What it brings is price. Keep Nvidia’s prices down. Navi’s never beating a 2080 TI. Only 1% of idiots even buy a 2080ti :slight_smile:

In my humble opinion :slight_smile: Glad if I am wrong.

2 Likes