AMD R9 Fury VS GTX 980: Overclocked Benchmarks: What Should You Get? | Tek Syndicate

I have no doubt, very quiet too I imagine. I was thinking more along the lines of just seeing how far both can go and which one would come out on top in the end.

IDK exactly what you are saying. I think you're confused. I meant lose their minds in a good way. Like the nVidia product is the best thing ever and is totally worth the extra money even though it is only 5 FPS faster.

Just wondering, has anyone really seen any review that had a Fury that overclocked a good bit? It seems like the Fury X and Fury in general have not overclocked well, at least from what I've seen online.

Not yet really.

It seems OCing is artificially limited at the moment. Especially memory. Prob something to do with voltages and HBM.

I mean the core overclocking is still unhindered. Maybe memory will be where we see big jumps with Fury and Fury X? Hopefully, because so far I don't think the performance has warranted a little bit more money over the 980 and 980 ti...

Whoops, sorry. I misunderstood you.

I just ran the Valley Benchmark at 1080p on my reference GTX980 overclock under 1500Mz and seamed to get higher than both of those cards
No AA 136.0 FPS
2x AA 110..2 FPS
4x AA 96.3 FPS
8x AA 77.1 FPS

I'm looking into replace my 7970 3gb card, and would like to know what you guys think would be the best value purchase (in the next 3-6 months) for 1080p/1440p gaming in the next 2-3 years between the R9 390x and the R9 Fury.

I know they are currently $100~ apart, with the GTX 980 sitting right in the middle in both performance and price, but I'm concerned/unsure regarding the HBM potential vs. the larger amount of GDDR on the 390x.

I'd rather stay with an AMD card, as I plan to upgrade to a FreeSync monitor, and would prefer not paying the extra licensing of a G-Sync one.

I'd wait for greenland/pascal to be honest.
7970 to either of those isn't really a giant step, buying a 7970/280x to crossfire with is a much better value.

Though I don't think the 4gb HBM is a issue, considering its really speedy. Just look at the scaling of Fury X when compared to Nvidia, even in a 4 way configuration it scales really well and it doesn't run into any issues running out of vram.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Was actually running a 7970 cfx setup about to 8 months ago, but there were so many problems that I decided to move one of the cards to my wife's pc.

DX12 and freesync are my main 2 reasons to justify the upgrade, but I'm mostly looking for the best value between the 390, 390x and Fury (nonX).