AMD R7 240 Linux Driver support

Does anyone here know if the R7 240 is still supported on Linux or not? My friend’s dad has a computer that needs a GPU replacement because Linux does not seem to support the NVidia Geforce 6600GT plus that GPU is from 2004.

1 Like

AMDGPU, the new(er) open source drivers for AMD cards, has support for cards starting with GCN, and that is a GCN card.

It depends on the kernel version, you might have to manually enable with a kernel parameter, but it should work great after that.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#Enable_Southern_Islands_(SI)and_Sea_Islands(CIK)_support

1 Like

Avoid AMDGPU for GCN1. I’ve had countless freezing issues with my R7 250 on AMDGPU. (since GCN1 support for AMDGPU is UNOFFICIAL) The older radeon drivers work fine, but are no longer supported. An RX 550 is a far better option for AMDGPU support.

I have a R7 250 and its set to auto (radeon driver) but for some reason it crashes when going to the login SDDM screen, and often will produce a rice fight screen, maybe missing firmware, I can’t tell. Its a backup GPU anyway and windows works, so I don’t really care.

1 Like

Most likely it’s because the KDE version is TOO NEW for the GPU. I had way too many issues with the R7 250 so I am pointing people to the RX 550 before it’s fully discontinued.

Correction. Radeon is still supported and updated. Radeon is still used by amdgpu. Because of AMD’s infinite wisdom in naming things, the kernel driver, kms (kernel module/drm), and WINSYS of radeon are all named the same. For amdgpu it the WINSYS is still radeon.

1 Like

I’m so confused. I don’t work with any AMD cards other than the R7 250 and I hear references to AMDGPU to GCNs past version 1.

The chart on Wikipedia also confuses people into thinking radeon and AMDGPU aren’t the same:

Yeah. AMD marketing always sucks.

amdgpu the driver and kms is not the same as radeon. But the WINSYS portion that does the heavy lifting is radeon. What makes the drivers different is that radon does not support vulkan. The unofficial vulkan driver (radv) is exclusive to amdgpu. amdvlk is the official AMD vulkan driver, which also only works with amdgpu and the amdgpu ICDs.

Yep pretty confusing, just the way AMD marketing likes it. I say this as an AMD user since 2001.

1 Like

I got the R7 240 and it works fine on Linux without any additional tinkering.