AMD R3 vs R5 integrated gfx: Vega 11 noticeably better than 8?

I’m building a machine against the use of this cool widescreen, high refresh rate AOC . The goal here is a relatively future-proof email-checking device that needs to outlast an elderly relative that wanted to invest in a nice monitor.

I obviously know I can reach a working solution by buying a GPU, but I was wondering if Vega integrated graphics is enough to push the frames involved in basic desktop/browser use on a high refresh-rate monitor of the kind mentioned? Is Vega 11 any better than Vega 8? Is the Ryzen 5 2400G Quad-Core worth the ~$50 more than the Ryzen 3 2200G for 0% gaming?

Mostly curious if anyone has any direct experience or relevant benchmarks to point me at. If we barely ever (; or only barely break;) 60fps, I’m going to apply some display budget elsewhere.

Here’s the part list, if it helps.

It’s not the easiest set of concepts for my Google-Fu, thanks in advance for any help. Enthused fan of Wendell’s, so I thought I’d bring this up here. Apologies if I’ve trampled any local rules.

A $1045 email machine? Sweet jesus. Get them an iPad… Seriously this build is from space. A $100 SSD and 16GB of 3200Mhz RAM to check email? But then paired with a poop PSU? Oof.

But if you’re determined to press on with this lunacy then my answer:

The Vega 11 graphics are a bit faster than Vega 8 but both are fairly limited by memory bandwidth and GCN scaling is meh so the actual difference is relatively minimal. Neither will have much issue driving such a display on the desktop.

Do keep in mine the 2400G does have SMT. IE Hyperthreading IE 4C/8T. However as this machine is just doing light work that shouldn’t matter.

Your motherboard choice may be an issue though. It only has a fairly old HDMI standard on it. I don’t think it can drive that resolution at that refresh rate. Not entirely sure on that one. May want to double check.

6 Likes

For context, the money is around, the elder disillusioned of Apple and unfamiliar with any OS. I’m taking the oppurtunity to put zim on Ubuntu. Hyperthreading makes sense for the extra $50, but I’m leaning towards R3 at this point.

Also haven’t had any issues with Rosewill PSU’s, trouble you for a recommended sub? Aware 500w is overkill.

Why do you need 160hz for checking emails

6 Likes

I’m gonna echo the

Get an iPad

This build make no sense on any plane.

5 Likes

My thought exactly. Also Why not just a small cheap laptop and a monitor ?

2 Likes

I don’t!

They don’t either!

2 Likes

Eh, it’s not worth the argument after I’ve already upsold the difference. There’s fervent curiosity now it’s known that “smoothness” I mentioned can be bought.

Not to mention, in my testing none of the browsers I can find will do better than 120hz.

1 Like

I%20disapprove

You are running out of sympathy
There is universal agreement this setup is complete waste of money and for 1/4 the cost you can achieve exactly the same goal of checking emails long into the future

9 Likes

Universal might be hyperbolic. Not sure, but have my answer. Thank you anyway.

A standard $200~400 Zotac box or NUC VESA mounted to the back of a monitor would do just fine and give them windows. If you give them linux, you ARE ON THE HOOK to support them for EVERY single one of their computer needs.

5 Likes

Whatever you decide to do I will just warn you Vega 8 and Vega 11 don’t have good support on ubuntu. Only on the latest kernel there is some improvement.

2 Likes

Yeah that is prob not a great idea. Linux is not super old people friendly in my experience and AMD APU’s Linux support is trash tier.

Yes.

Pretty mediocre for the money. 500W is overkill. TBH I’d grab a basic cheap corsair or similar unit for like $20.

So you’re essentially stretching the truth to rip them off? kk great grandkid.

get this and be done with it if they must have a desktop.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/crbxTB

6 Likes

Is there a hidden motive with this PC you’re not telling us?

4 Likes

If I’d hazard a guess they are banking on the elderly relative dying soon and taking it for themselves.

5 Likes

@moderators

2 Likes

cheking emails and general browsing

fastest m.2 NVME on the market, 16GB ddr4 3200 ram, gaming mouse and KB

U wot m8?

3 Likes

I came for a hardware question, left with an idea for a book. “Grand kid decks out elder home in heirlooms”. What a hoot.

Not to brag, but I’m the one paying.

1 Like