AMD R 7950X delid

So my question is more or less straight forward.

I got the new R7950X upgrading from the i7 5775. I plan to water cool it with the new EK Velocity and I was wondering if I get the delid kit from Der8auer is it worth it to use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme?

I’d rather not use liquid metal not because of the mess or risk but because I don’t want to re-apply it as often as it needs.

Technically speaking will there be a difference between having the IHS and not having it?

if you don’t want to overclock, then it’s not worth the effort.
With your EK Velocity the chip will reach it’s power limit anyway

1 Like

Delid will improve your CPU performance very very much… It’s necessary even if you don’t overclocking… I think 7950x will reach about 400w in maximum power…

If delid and watercooling still not enough for You, then use liquid nitrogen, buy liquid nitrogen generator then feed to CPU through metal pipe, You can use liquid nitrogen for daily use without need to filling every few hours, cheap liquid nitrogen generator just cost about $3000…

1 Like

you can use other pastes too.
ic diamond, tuniq tx-4 compound and arctic mx-4. are all good thermal grease products.
and while they will not cool as well as liquid metal, they aint that far off.
-7’c as opposed to -10’c on the thermal grizzly so you can use that instead and only replace it every 18 months to 2 years… and wont eat into any metal.

that being said just make sure your cpu is seated and your cooler actually supports am5 rather than being an am4 conversion and you should be good regardless of de-lidding.

2 Likes

Another thing worth noting is that TSMC’s manufacturing node responds well to lower operating temperatures, meaning even without undervolting or reducing the configurable TDP the CPU will draw less power even under identical frequencies and load scenarios (basically increasing efficiency).

If AMD ever chooses to release a 7950X3D I might also come to AM5 and do a delid, have fun memories here dating back to Socket A Athlon XPs with direct Die watercooling :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.