AMD or Intel?

newegg currently has the g4560 pentium on sale for 51.50 with 7.35 in shipping. :

AMD considered open sourcing PSP and it went high up in management. With the whole shit show intel is in now. Perhaps they may reconsider it and write it open source.

It would be a massive show of faith to customers and big business. We would not know for many months even if they did with all the testing they would need to do.

One can only dream.

Ryzen+ is 2 months away with price drops on Ryzen for sure as well. I would wait and see unless its a must buy now.

3 Likes

@Marten I have heard that Ryzen+ is going to require a new motherboard, but it will be backward with Ryzen, what have you heard?

The new MB is fine with some (weird features) but the socket is ok. Im am wounder what x370 the x470 or what ever lacks…PCI lane or Joking an intel GPU. I dont know outside of the prince tanking because Intel are digging their whole and spending all the money to put amd in the whole as well.

1 Like

X370/B350 is confirmed backwards compatible with Ryzen 2/Zen+, you do not need a new motherboard. Will almost certainly require a BIOS update though.

3 Likes

Now might be the time to express interest to them. I don’t use much social media, but if we were to kick up a storm on the twitter, it would at least show AMD that we’d be very happy with them.

1 Like

F4-3200c14D-16GFX are listed on the X370 Taichi QVL.

Just something to consider.

If you’re looking with eyes to the future on Ryzen vs. Intel, then future games in theory should be more likely to use things like DX12 and Vulkan which are more multi-cpu core aware in terms of rendering threads.

So the whole “intel is better at 1080p gaming with an overpowered card” thing might not ring true for very long.

Every architecture and every vendor is pushing increased core counts. Software will adapt, and IMHO buying more cores today instead of slightly better IPC/clock is prudent for future software.

Nah, not for games. CPUs in modern consoles are shockingly slow, old Atom-class. They do have 8 cores, but each core runs like honey right out of the fridge. If you kept honey in the fridge. Which you shouldn’t, because it doesn’t go bad. What I’m getting at here is they’re slow.

Most games are console ports, so that takes care of that. IPC and clockspeed will be more important than CPU core count in gaming for the foreseeable future.

Uh…

AMD has won the contract for most of the consoles.

More slower cores (like in the new consoles, and newer mobiles - and mobile gaming is now bigger than console) = more incentive to optimise for core count.

Mobile is going more cores everywhere.
The APIs have been written to be more useful on more cores.

IPC will only get you so far and we’re reaching the limits of what can be done to raise IPC on a single core vs. adding more cores.

This is why intel finally increased core count and why you now have 18 core desktop CPUs all of a sudden.

Also why for the past decade intel’s IPC improvement has been barely 5% per 12-18 months.

Yes, they’re all AMD Jaguar (atom-class) CPUs. Console games absolutely do optimize for multi-cores. That said, it had essentially zero effect on PC games past 4 physical cores.

In games, if you want a steady 60 fps for as long as possible, i would go amd 1700. If you want the highest possible fps or if you want like 120fps+ for as long as possible, intel’s better single core performance is probably better and i would get a 8700k.

I wouldn’t buy either right now, honestly, because Zen+ is coming out next month with +10% performance at the same price and Coffee Lake Intel CPUs are vulnerable to Meltdown. I would either buy cheap old stuff or wait.

You’re still comparing old software written in in the times prior to more than 4 cores being mainstream, and prior to DX12 and Vulkan getting any traction.

New software will not be this way.

Current-gen consoles have had 8 very slow CPU cores since 2013. The refreshes, PS4 Pro and Xbone X, dramatically improved GPU performance but only slightly CPU.

It’s very obvious that CPUs will get more cores as time goes by, because it’s very difficult to vertically scale by improving IPC and clockspeeds but very easy to horizontally scale by adding more cores. And yes, DX12 and Vulkan facilitate multi-core scaling. I just don’t see that happening in a meaningful way within the time horizon of a desktop CPU purchased today.