AMD or Intel?

Yeah, we do disagree there. Well, partly.

That is something to consider if you have shitty power, yes.

These files are zipped. If the file is fucked, you would get an error extracting it.

Not really. You put the file on a USB stick, boot into BIOS/UEFI, go to the flash thingy, select the file and then don’t pull the plug for two minutes. If someone manages to build his own system, that shouldn’t be to hard.

2 Likes

Well guess what I have shotty power made worse with to many house on the same line.

Well I guess I am showing my age, They have made some progress since the last time I looked into this process. I guess I should be put into a home, I don’t have anything more to offer society LOL​:wink::joy:

1 Like
        \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||

Don’t worry, I was there. I’ve had to make DOS floppies… :wink:

Just to add something useful @Vunter:
Here is where you download the BIOS (the instant flash is the one you want) and here is how to do it.

Just check your version first, maybe you are already up to date.

1 Like

It´s fine! The more you know.

You are correct that I didn’t run the torture test yet. I should note that the only tests that were causing the CPU to run the hottest was IntelBurnTest. I’m going to run Aida64 while I goto Microcenter to do the stuff below.

Yeah I have considered that about my case and at stock the temps are showing similar to what my intel setup had; which is stock runs about 4c-5c hotter. My 4790k was overclocked and while It did show higher temps it never reached that high. But in that case I wasn’t running a stock cooler.

Having said that I am going to replace the case and get one that has better airflow; some of the fractal cases have my eye.

Before I replace the cooler I’m going to once again remove the stock cooler and use newer thermal paste. I had already removed the stock thermal paste, but going to pickup some arctic silver to see if that helps. If the new case and the reapplication of thermal paste doesn’t help than I’m going to replace the cooler for a better air one or a AIO cooler.

When I reapplied the thermal paste the second time I had noticed there were flux stains on my CPU from the manufacturing process. I contacted AMD last night and they said some new CPU’s have permanent flux stains or discoloration from their QT before they ship them out. I also noticed that the stock cooler also scratched the top of the CPU; this freaked me out and I had thought it was because I tightened the cooler to tight, but tightened it per stock cooler install instructions. AMD said the stock cooler tightened to spec will leave a few scratches. That made no sense to me and they said they might send me a new chip.

I googled how to find the batch number and followed this reddit post. The information is on the actual CPU

My board came with all the latest bios updates. The very first thing I do when I build a new PC is update the bios.

So I guess there isn’t a way to find out the batch number of my 1700 before purchasing it. I thought it might be printed on the outside box, like it is for some monitor manufactures what a disapointment. Well at least I should be able to tell if Micro Center tried to sell me a 1700 that someone else returned. Thanks @Vunter for the information.

If you’re buying it in person the CPU should be pictured through the side window in the box. You should be able to read it through the window and plastic clamshell.

The CPU itself is behind clear plastic. You can totally see it.

Thanks @noenken for the information, your a life saver.

So I have an update. I just got back from Microcenter and had a pretty awesome experience. I was in the process of picking out another CPU for replacement, and the manager wanted to test it out and they had abnormally high thermals at stock as well . So they exchanged the CPU out for new one and even better in listening to my build story and feeling bummed that CPU had issues bcause he knew i was getting a case and cooler he threw those in for free

So I got the following for free.

Corsair Obsidian 750d Airflow Edition
Corsair AIO h100i v2 (With AM4 Bracket)
Artic Silver 5

Arctic silver has a cure time right? So i shouldnt overclock it for 200hrs?

5 Likes

Wow! That is some service.

You think you are old, compared to me you are a spring chicken. I use to have to make sure the tape reels on those computers that take up a whole room were ready to go. LOL:joy::laughing:

New Update

Installed everything into the new case. I’m happy to report that with the the replacement CPU, h100i v2 AIO cooler, and new case, I’m getting 28c-31c stock settings.

I’m going to leave it at stock settings for a day or two while I test it. Once I’m confident that I’m good to go on stock settings I’ll start overclocking. It’s already 15c-20c cooler so I’m thinking I’ll be set, but better to be safe on take it slow.

Old is back in the day when a transistor was two people holding wires for connections… and you liked it, if you wanted to or not.

we used to dream of having wires; back in my day we just had chains of people to make a connection – if we were lucky!

I would be very interested in an answer to this question. @wendell know you are probably busy and I hate to bother you, but you are the most knowledgeable person I know about this subject.

@Vunter with the brand new Ryzen 7 1700 do you still have those bugs you where talking about or do you have to try and overclock your new chip before you will know if suffering form those bugs?

Also, I have another question are your Ram running within advertised specs?

One last question was the new Ryzen 7 1700 from a newer batch, meaning was it manufactured after week 44. I believe you said the old one was manufactured sometime between the first week of November and the second.

The bug is actually with the bios. Asrock has said it was fixed in bios update 3.20 however many people report that it wasn’t so until they release another update bug will still happen.

I’m running my Ram as advertised. The profile I selected is Xmp 2933. When I check HWmonitor is says clock of 1499, which equals 3000

Both of CPUs were from week 44. The issues I had with other one I think was specific to just that individual chip.

So I like that overclocking on the ryzen platform is super easy. I might just wait for the bios fix, because I hate having to do that workaround and turn off certain features in AMD CBS and it also bugs me using the top voltage instead of the bottom vcore voltage.

I played several games last night and actually noticed a performance increase from my 4790K setup. My fps in every single game is about 10 - 20fps more at stock settings. Only thing that is changed is MB, Ram, and CPU. I wonder if jumping from DDR3 to DDR4 is the cause of better performance. I mean I’m not complaining I was just expecting same performance in games and better in multicore apps, but I’m getting better in both so I’m pretty damn happy.

That that’s the only logical conclusion I would think you could make. I think you just won the Lottery lucky you. I know for a fact when I finally get around to replacing my surge damaged Desktop (The only part I can Salvage so far is my Nvidia GTX 580) the opposite will happen. My frame rates are going to drop compared to the frame rates I get on my gaming laptop.

Well, keep me posted on your progress. You are helping me make up my mind if I should go ahead and purchase Asrock Fali1ty Professional Gaming motherboard, or if I should which to a different motherboard manufactures top of the line motherboard. So far just about all of my concerns and questions are being answered, because your Tachi (I have heard) is basically the same motherboard but with a few more features, that would come in hand with my use case.

It’s running stock though, I haven’t overclocked it yet. I would think one CPU at stock would have similar results to another. Overclocking though I know can have different performance.