AMD or Intel?

Yeah, I’m in the US. Those are the same prices I’ve been looking at. I suppose I should have said just over 200. I just wasn’t expecting it to be that much; last time I built my PC a few years back I paid about 150bucks for 32GB

I’d wait for Ryzen2. Intel is a shitshow even if it’s a better CPU for gaming.
A 970 ought to be able to get the job done as long as you aren’t a graphics queen.

Right now is a shit time.
GPUs are off the charts in terms of price
All Intel processors past, present, and future have Meltdown
Memory is expensive

An alternative is to keep you existing game rig, and buy a used 4th gen dell or something and throw that 2nd 970 in it for your brother.

I have a 4790k and I don’t see myself buying a new rig until Ryzen3 or Intel has meltdown fixed in silicon.

1 Like

My brother isn’t in any rush was just something I was talking to him about. I think I may just wait for prices to drop on the RAM. My current setup is completely fine.

its really a matter of what you are looking for.
From what i personally gather in the OP, it looks to me that you are,
just a gamer that want to enjoy gaming on 1080p.

And if i´m really honnest, as long as you are not planning to buy a topend GTX1080Ti or better gaming card.
Then it wont really matter much which ever you go with intel or AMD really.
I mean if i look at all the benchmarks done on 1080p, then intel coffelake cpu’s are significantlly ahead in pretty much any game.
However that is mainlly be shown with a topend video card like a GTX1080Ti and an overclocked 8600K / 8700K.
If you go with a more midrange or semi highend card like GTX1070, RX580 and all that, the performance difference gap deminishes between Ryzen and Intel really.
And basiclly a midrange to semi highend gpu is all you really need to enjoy 1080p gaming with some decent fps numbers.

So to make a long story short, if your goals are to grab a highend / topend gpu and you want to get the best 1080p gaming performance out of that, then go with intel.
But if you are fine with slightlly less performance on 1080p gaming with a topend card.
Or you wanne go with a midrange to semi highend gpu in the future.
Then Ryzen is a totally viable option.
In terms of coding work, its really a matter of said workloads.
But i think that both platforms would suite your needs pretty well.

I already decided im going to continue using Nvidia 970 so GPU’s are way too much for what they whouls be.

Yeah, so it wouldnt really matter much if you go with intel or amd really.
The reason i was talking about topend gpu´s is more with an eye on the future.
But for now, you would be fine with either intel or amd.
There wont be any huge performance difference with a GTX970 on 1080p.
Like i said the real difference between Ryzen and Coffeelake in 1080p gaming,
is only really shown with a GTX-1080Ti.
Which arguable is an overkill card for 1080p gaming anyways.
Unless you are looking for a constand 144fps + in gaming.
But i dont think that is all that important to you.
Since you want to stick to your 970 for a while.
Ryzen is still pretty capable pushing a GTX1080-TI on 1080p with 120fps+ arround the board on most games.
So really it comes down to the type of gamer you are.

But in my opinion Ryzen would suite you pretty well.

Yeah see what you are saying. I game at 1080p 60fps - 100fps. My monitors are 60hz. I dont plan on upgrading those for awhile

Also one interesting thing about Ryzen and the AM4 platform,
i would like to mention.
AMD has stated that Ryzen will be a 4 year platform,
and on their roadmap they talk about atleast 3 new cpu laucnhes for the platform the up comming years untill 2020.
So that might be interesting with an eye on future upgrade compatiblities.

On intel Z370, we might see one new cpu launch for that platform maybe next year.
But then the platform will be EOL.
Not that it would really matter too much, because each new platform launch brings only small incremental improvements.
But yeah, its does suck a bit on the intel side.

Will that Ram work with the ASRock - X370 Taichi?

You are right @Vunter micro is running good combo deals, but the motherboard I really want is never part of the combo deal, which is the As rock X370 Fali1ty Professional Game.

Yes. That RAM is Samsung B-Die, which is in general the thing you want for Ryzen.
Apart from one or two additional letters at the end to describe it’s color, this is what you are looking for:

F4-3200C14D-16GTZ

It means DDR4, 3200MHz, CL14, Dual stick kit, 16GB, Trident-Z.

I actually had to send my trident z in for RMA cause it wouldnt break 2133… They were kind enough to send me the flare x 3200 CL14 …
Maybe the ram issue with ryzen is fixed for trident z… not sure.

If it was a CL14, it must have been a broken kit. I had FlareX which was NOT B-Die and did not run any faster then a damn cheap RipjawsV kit. Now my Trident-Z is basically plug and play, you just use the XMP profile and it simply works.

Yes same as my flare x 3200… it just works… They had no problem with the RMA so I am guessing it was broken.

I appreciate the clarification. I usually look at Mobo QVL, but since a lot of the memory recommendations arent on ASRock taichi, QVL made it difficult to parse what to use.

I would not go for Intel for a long time. Recent events need to be reflected on sales.

The way Intel behaved after the security issues and the way it made things difficult for the devs fixing things, the fact that the fixes provided by them where really problematic and not given the necessary care and the fact that they knew about the flaw 6 months in advanced (the most important part for me) and still pushed their new line of CPUs is a reason alone to go for AMD.

But looking at the purely technical reasons. Well Intel makes sense at this point only if you are using your machine for Gaming and nothing else. If you do other things as well (especially things that like multithreading) then a Ryzen CPU is definitely a better choice. It is still very capable for games (I doubt you will feel the difference in practice) and after the recent price reduction it provides a much better value for money.

And the long term compatibility of the socket with future CPUs is also a plus. Being able to use your current mobo and RAM in the models that will come up 3 years in the future is pretty nice. Especially with the RAM price nowadays.

Also a 1700x i think has better value for money to the 1800x.

The difference between amd and intel for gaming isn’t what the fanboys on websites say. Its like 10fps. Honestly ryzen is the more interesting technology and you don’t pay out the ass for 8 cores 16 thleads. Just go with ryzen and a nice 350 board and have fun!

As others have pointed out, frame rate differences are mostly negligible between Intel and AMD depending strongly on what game and resolution/GPU you are using.

That said, the strongest argument for going AMD at the moment is the Meltdown vulnerability going on right now. Fixes are impacting performance, especially on disk access if that’s important to you. Gaming performance impact is negligible, especially with Intel’s slight lead in frame rates in most games.

The other vulnerability is Spectre and both platforms are potentially vulnerable to this. Some of the fixes for Spectre on the Intel side are causing stability issues and Intel has instructed people to stop installing them until a new fix can be made. Vendors have yet to release fixes for AMD.

This is probably a big reason to wait to buy right now until the industry can produce CPU’s that are invulnerable to these exploits without the need for performance robbing microcode/BIOS patches.

I would have to disagree with @turin231 on the above point, I think the Ryzen 7 1700 is the better value than the 1700X and 1800X for the following reasons, one the 1700 includes a very nice cooler, two Micro Center has it on sale for in-store pickup for $249 USD. If The 1700X or 1800X offered more cores than the 1700 than I would agree with @turin231.

@Klingon00 You are probably right you should continue using your current system until Meltdown and Spectre are a completely nonsecurity issue, and increase their security. The problem with that advice (its good advice) that won’t occur until 2021 at the earlyest , which was pointed out in the lastest Level1 News podcast.

My question is what are people to do if like me they have systems that are destroyed by power surges or overheating issues and they can’t wait 3 years? Buy new equipment and increase their security precautions to the point where they are not useful anymore.