AMD or Intel?

I’ve built quite a few systems over the years and am quite familiar but I am in a pickle on which CPU to go with. I’ve been watching all the videos and reading forums etc… but would like to hear from you all on your thoughts. My brother wants to get back into gaming and doesn’t have a lot of money so I am giving him my current PC which has an i7-4790k and Nvidia 970. Gives me an excuse to build myself a new system lol.

I am in a little bit of a pickle in terms of going Ryzen or Intel. I wouldn’t really classify myself as a hardcore gamer but more an avid gamer. When I am not gaming I’m working on finishing my degree; coding, using adobe products a lot etc…I have another 970 laying around and just plan on using that GPU because honestly all the GPU’s right now is way to expensive compared to what they used to be a few years ago. I don’t game at 4k nor do I have a monitor that does 144hz. I game at 1080p and that has been totally fine.

Would you guys recommend still going Intel because I game or Ryzen? If I went Ryzen because I am not a balls to wall the gamer how much would I really notice or would I even notice because I dont game at the max? Love to here your thoughts :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You won’t see any difference in performance at all on 60Hz displays.
Also meltdown exists.
Go Ryzen.

12 Likes

Not sure what of this you need:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yCpBgL

Edit:

• Ryzen 1600
  • single 8GB stick RAM
  • MSI X370 mobo
  • SeaSonic PSU
  • not the worst case (design and airflow wise)

As a bonus, I tried to color match all the components^^

1 Like

#FuckIntel

Yeah… Ryzen is still an incredibly good piece and now that the refresh is coming out in a couple of months the prices have been reduced. It’s a good time to buy a CPU.

4 Likes

a CPU, most certainly. Ram, OTOH… :stuck_out_tongue: Oligopoly is real.

Jeezus only one 8Gb stick of Gum in that build and it costs U$80.
I am very glad I don’t need to buy RAM for a while. :grimacing:

But yeah something like that looks good, however man it’s not a good time to buy a new PC at all right now with the utter lack of GPU’s and crazy RAM prices.
DDR4 is back to the same price it cost at launch years ago.

Yep, RAM and GPU situation sucks. However:

If AMD wanted to win the world, they would start producing RAM sticks and sell them for the price they should cost.

The only parts I’m buying is CPU, MOBO, and Ram. I have everything else. With everyone making it easy to decide with going Ryzen I’m now deciding between 1700x or 1800x. Kinda thinking 1700x is the better value. My brain often likes to say, “well just spend an extra 50 and get more.” Then pretty soon your pc build is at a bijillion dollars.

2 Likes

Running the 1700X myself and having friends who are running the 1700, I´d say decide between those two.
The 1800x is not worth the extra money.

1 Like

I would say put your money in really fast memory (3200 Samsung B-Die) and a nice board, get a 1600 for now and look at what April brings.

1 Like

This would be a smart route too. So I take it the refresh that’s coming will still be the same chipset? The 1600 and 1600x at microcenter are really affordable so I may do this.

1 Like

While X470 is coming, AMD announced backwards compatibility of the new CPU line with X370

It’s pretty minimal. The difference in fps that Intel will get you over AMD is borderline margin of error in some cases and it’s not really significant in the largest differences. Add to that the recent Intel security issues, and the fact Ryzen beats Intel in virtually every other category by a larger margin than it loses in gaming, the choice gets much simpler IMO.

You should do this. The GPU market has most stuff 3-4 times what they should be at for MSRP (and even that is a bit high for some stuff cough founders cough)

Then the difference Intel gets you over AMD is moot. It’s only there to give you that final push in a game that uses the cpu, but you should be able to run anything at 1080p non-ultra high refresh rate just fine on Ryzen with no issues.

1 Like

As a 7700k owner (got it pre ryzen) its hard to justify 10% better framerates with 1/2 as many cores at my disposal, and when you look at ryzen when using 1440p at 144hz there isnt much of a difference at all, so theres that to think about. Its really only in single threaded stuff that intel shines and thats some edge cases where you might see 20-30%.

Ryzen is just better bang for buck, all intel bullshit aside. If I were to build a new machine today it would likely be a Ryzen system. There are people here who wouldnt buy intel because of moral or personal reasons, I wouldnt just because it doesnt make as much sense in performance/$

2 Likes

If you find a really good combo deal I would not let the name on the cpu cause you to hesitate.

Yeah, remember when I bought my 970 it was only 280 bucks. Now If I want to get a GPU that is mid-level I have to spend like 400-500 bucks. Its like yeah no thx.

Microcenter is running Ryzen combo deals. 30 dollar instant saving with AMD Mobo.

1 Like

Yeah holy jeebus. I was just checking prices on RAM. just under 300 for 16GB or Just around 400 for 32GB. This totally puts a dent in me buying right now. Do we think these prices will fall anytime soon or is it like the GPU market and will stay like this for a long while?

That is not US pricing, I guess?

This is basically my way: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vLxksJ

He mentioned Microcenter so I think he’s US but this is a critical piece of info we dont have