AMD or Intel for new PC (Home Studio)

A fanless GPU can be had dirt cheap and chipset fans only exist on X570. If you don’t go X570, you lose nothing compared to any current Intel board. But you save a ton of money.

2 Likes

I think i have to agree with this for a few reasons.

• Stability: AMD Ryzen is still pretty quirky, and with a audio production system,
    you don’t wanne deal what that.
    You just want your system to work.
    Intel mainstream is generally still more stable then Ryzen,
    because they have matured allot more.

• Core clocks: The 9900K in particular has a higher boost clock then any,
    of the AMD offerings.
    I think that in terms of audio production is likely going to benefit from that depending on the software.

• dpc latency: still an issue with certain am4 boards.
    Could also occure with intel boards, but i generally read less about it with intel.
    Seems to me that intel is still better at doing drivers.

• Motherboard prices: Decent Z390 boards are still cheaper then X570.
    Although for a 9900K you would likely wanne spend a little bit more,
    for a really decent board with more then enough features.

What benefit do you get with Z390 over B450 on AMD?
Sorry of being pedantic but … B450 exists! HELLO! Why are you all comparing only to X570?

1 Like

Thank you @noenken, @Zibob, @wertigon and @MisteryAngel.

Looks I will end up buying Intel, was almost 75% sure about this, but wanted to check with people that know more than me on this.

Regarding this, I was thinking about the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, since I don’t really plan to OC or do many complex things in the BIOS. Is this a good MoBo? Other options I was looking were:

• MSI MPGz Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming

Between this three, which one do you guys recommend?

If possible would you mind telling me if this liquid cooler is good for the i9?

• Corsair Hydro H100x

I’ve read in some places that the i9 tends to hit high temperatures.

I don’t really care for RGB since the case that I have is a closed one to minimize sound as much as possible.

Again, thank you all for your input, it has been very helpfull.

1 Like

Because all B450 boards suck?
And next to that, B450 is definitely not the same as Z390.

Just to start about the pci-e lane implementations.
On B450 only the first pci-e slot is 16X gen3.
The second x16 slot is only a 4x gen2 slot, but that isn’t particulary chipset related.
Still a limitation in certain situations doe.
I personally don’t get why people would even consider trowing Ryzen 7 3000 series,
cpu’s on a B450 board.

There trully isn’t any reason why you should limit a brand new nice Ryzen 3700X or 3800X,
that supports all the newest tech.
Atleast i personally don’t see any.

Yes, you are right. The 3900X would be able to fit inside the budget in that case as well. Here is an updated list of components, no idea how expensive it would be but should be similar budget, changed items are bold:

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900x (550 €)
MoBo: MSI Tomahawk B450 Max (~120 €)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz CL16 (2x16 GBs)
Cooling: Cryorig H5 Ultimate (~50 €)
GPU: Zotac GeForce GT 710 HDMI (PCI-E x1) 1GB (~70 €)
Boot drive: NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GBs
Storage drive: 1 TB Crucial SSD

Reasoning:

• GPU is 1xPCIe single slot to allow up to PCIe 16x audio expansion cards. Brand does not matter, so took the cheapest available
  • MSI Tomahawk saves you around 100-120 €
  • GPU saves you around 80 €
  • Cooler might shave off a few euros as well, took the cheapest 140mm fan cooler I could find
  • AMD stock coolers are quite performing and nice but noisy as heck
  • The ~200 € saved allows you to buy a 3900X + decent cooler
1 Like

The boards are cheap and the lower latency, higher amount of cache, improvements in IPC and higher clocks are not dependent on chipset. That’s why.

Yeah but just don’t do that.
Because that particular board isn’t really capable of handling a 3900X properly at all.
Non of the B450 boards have a decent enough vrm implementation to handle a 3900X well.
There are of course reasons why X570 boards have had a significant vrm upgrade.
over the previous gen am4 boards right?

For a 12 core, yes. That I agree with. There still are fine X470 boards with no silly chipset fans and good VRMs out there.

Or 3800X for out of the box clockspeed, decent cooler and higher end mobo. Easy enough to drop in a better CPU later, mobo change is basically a system rebuild.

Well my point generally aside from crap vrm implementations,
is simply limitations on expendability with a B450 board.
X470 is of course a different story, if you don’t generally care much for pci-e4.0,
or you don’t particulary use ultra fast storage that could utilize it.
Then X470 is also decent option.

But B450 isn’t really a great option i think.
Only maybe for a Ryzen 3 or 5.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off topic talk Ryzen 3000 on B450 boards

I have no idea about how sensitive audio stuff might be about clockspeed, I’d think it’s more about general single thread performance. The IPC gains of third gen Ryzen are hefty. So a 9900k might not make any difference in terms of that.

Latency in audio software, again … not using that, so can’t say for sure. Still, without actual tests I wouldn’t count Ryzen out that fast.

Stability… I call BS! I’ve got … (countingonfingers) seven Ryzen systems now, plus a laptop (that thing was a pain for a while) and all of those (desktops) are running perfectly fine. My router is Ryzen, my SSD NAS is Ryzen … those are always on. No problems.

Show me one b450 with flashback and has current agesa guys.

B450 is in a terrible state. To suggest it to someone who wants to use their computer for work is a bit of a joke.

3 Likes

In case of thread splits;

@MisteryAngel is correct in that the 9900k is the more stable, mature and cheaper platform right now and will probably be so for another six months.

At the same time the AMD platform will be the more high performing one, but only by a margin of 10%-15%. If you need twice the amount of threads go AMD.

Has already been done.

MSI Tomahawk B450 Max?

1 Like

Seems like you already decided to go with Intel, good choice.
Built a coffee lake system myself and the stability is excellent.

3 Likes

ITT: AMD fanbois argue about a cpu they don’t have running on a board that doesn’t really support it.

Msi has a terrible bios right now. Many people are reporting overheating and high voltage.

1 Like

Audio production is super single core focused. Going Intel in this case makes sense.

2 Likes

So some 11! posts back a decision was made to go with intel and a question asked. Let’s get back to focus here.

I don’t know enough about AIOs or any current mother boards to answer them so going to highlight the question since it was completely forgotten.

There is plenty to argue about here so let’s be constructive.

1 Like