AMD nforce boards

I just recently purchased a GTX 580 from EVGA after having owned several ATI cards. I mainly wanted the fastest single GPU and I just like trying different things when I can financially do so with components.

Currently, I have a 790X chipset which obviously will not support SLI apart from hacking it which I just don't feel like doing. I don't do anything really CPU intensive outside of what a typical FPS might demand. While I don't currently have any plans to upgrade, I am curious if anyone has the nforce 750a or 980a AM3 boards, and what their thoughts are on it? As far as I know, I don't think AMD and Nvidia have anything in the works to come out with anything anytime soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236 Hope this helps.

as skull abyss said... that is probably the best nvidia AM3 board at the moment. Hopefully AM3+ boards will come out soon and there will be better nvidia ones.

skullabyss said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130236 Hope this helps.

Yeah, I know about the select few boards available. I guess I was just wondering what kind of performance any user on RTW might have gotten going with AMD/Nvidia. Most of the forums that I have browsed on this subject showed very insignificant performance differences when AMD/Nvidia was going against a somewhat comparable Intel/Nvidia setup in a typical gaming scenario. Keep in mind that the performance measure were taken in order to compare Intel CPUs vs AMD CPUs in games. Results varied a little based on the title but there was no significant difference in using a Phenom II X4 945 and an Core i7 920 for example.

Slick said:

Yeah, I know about the select few boards available. I guess I was just wondering what kind of performance any user on RTW might have gotten going with AMD/Nvidia. Most of the forums that I have browsed on this subject showed very insignificant performance differences when AMD/Nvidia was going against a somewhat comparable Intel/Nvidia setup in a typical gaming scenario. Keep in mind that the performance measure were taken in order to compare Intel CPUs vs AMD CPUs in games. Results varied a little based on the title but there was no significant difference in using a Phenom II X4 945 and an Core i7 920 for example.

I'm with you on that, My Sempron 140 does a decent job at gaming seeing i have it Oc'ed to 3.1 Ghz

As far as AMD vs Intel goes, not going to see a big change in gaming speeds. So there's not much of a point in switching to Intel right now.

this board sucks, a really bad overclocker....