AMD microcode update causes BSOD in Win and hangs in Linux on AX370 (?)

last night, i experienced something really weird, my PC would start to freeze at random, mostly trying to play a YT video… first i thought it was just my kernel being buggy, cuz im not running exactly the most recommended version.

So i rebooted to Win 10… which, to my surprice, also managed to go completelly BSOD from watching a youtube video, twice, with different errors.

So i booted into linux again and watched for system logs for errors (in “dmesg”) and it would start throwing random USB related errors and whatnot, which was really weird, because i did not plug anything new / weird into USB and this setup worked just fine for months if not years…

Also since it was doing in both systems (i have dualboot), i started to suspect motherboard, since it was on repair once, like a month after i got it (probably just cold contact somewhere)…

As a last decision before ordering a new one, i updated bios, from F10 to F31… all USB related errors/warnings gone… and system stayed stable. This morning at work, my Windows VM got “AMD” update, so i suspect they did roll out some microcode update, which is incompatible with older bios (at least on my board)…

Also i did CPU / RAM / GPU stress test, it was running just fine and i did not touch its clocks in like forever and everything was set as it should be

long story short:

Board: Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5
Bios before: F10 (unstable)
Bios after: F31 (stable)
Issue: “brainfreezes” in Linux; BSODs in Windows

If this is the case and its on more boards, kinda pisses me off, imagine some newbie trying to figure thit out…

F31 bios states to “improve USB compatibility” … but i did not have any issues before, so if there were any, they introduced them with microcode update somehow