AMD is now becoming Intel?

I feel as if AMD is becoming a form of Intel. What I mean by this is that Intel releases a new socket for every new cpu release, which means you have to either upgrade to an older generation of cpu or upgrade both the cpu and mobo. AMD is doing this which really is getting on my nerves. Just last November they released socket FM2+ and now they are using AM1? Which means if I want to upgrade my APU system I have to buy a older higher end APU or upgrade the motherboard as well. I told my brother AMD was the way to go for compatibility. I told him Intel if you wish to upgrade down the line would be much more expensive. I know from personal experience. I bought a AM2/3 board back in 2009 and their cpus are supported by it. AMD has been known to have good forward and backwards comparability. Which is another reason they are better bang for your buck. My older mobo supports the first gen of phenom (a old 9850) and was upgraded to a 1090t. It could run my 8320, but I am using the sabertooth 990fx for that.

To AMD,

If you are planning on releasing a new socket instead of an upgraded version of an old one then I am going to switch to intel, because they are better at actual cpu enhancements. I really liked that I could use an older cpu on a newer board and vice versa. Essentially you used a socket from 2005/6 (940/939) all the way up until now (AM3+). I enjoy how it is AM2 and then AM2+ and then AM3 and 3+. Some motherboards via bios flash allowed for an AM3 cpu to work on an AM2 mobo, as I have mentioned earlier in this post. Anyways, I don't appriciate paying 100 dollars for a higher end FM2+ board when it was released less than year ago (november 2013) and has already been replaced. As I was writing this I just thought to myself, what if AM1 is supposed to be a lower end product. It appears to be much lower end. If this is the plan for the near future then keep it as thus and continue to support AM2+ until 2016 please.

I got a 5800k for my brothers build when it was on sale for 80 which was and is a steal. I told him he would be able to get an even better APU within a year or two. That was an assumption that you are still the AMD that made sockets AM2 - 3+. You still are upgrading cpus for AM3+, so I would assume you would do the same for FM2+ and the rest of your APU line up. I hope you dont start producing higher end APUs any time soon for AM1, higher than the ones for FM2+ and prior.

AMD is doing this which really is getting on my nerves. Just last November they released socket FM2+ and now they are using AM1?

i'm going to stop you right there, fm2+ is the current socket for "performance" parts (if you want to call it that) am1 if for ultra low power stuff (similar to atoms), one has a 100w tdp and the other a 25w tdp, you can't put this kind of stuff on the same platform

I wish AMD would become Intel in the sense of doing a die shrink and adding features. Seems like AMD now wants to start from scratch again with the next fx line. What a waste imo.

This thread...

I feel the same way, I dont know why I posted it. I am just saying if AM1 becomes the main socket for apu, im gonna be pissed. I love to rant, some of it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't.

AM1 is more meant for countries with small wages (as in third world) and get computers into their hands as a DIY option.

But at the same time others have found they can use this for inexpensive computer builds for fun or friends/family who are light computer users.

I know right........

Being serious about the topic though... how many generations of CPUs from AMD have been on a single socket? Of course, the sockets are backwards compatible, which is always nice, but.. as I recall Phenom II was AM3, and then both of the FX lines are AM3+. I don't know if before then there were more CPUs on a single socket, but unless the next FX series CPUs were released on an existing socket it would be basically the same thing Intel does, right? Plus, I suppose one nice thing about Intel is that they don't really have a socket differentiation between their low and high end CPUs (LGA 2011 counts as super high end as far as I'm concerned) so you could grab a cheap Pentium and later upgrade to an i7. But I do agree that it's frustrating how often Intel changes its sockets.

The primary reason why they do this is because there is only so much data that you can push through a limited number of connections on your chip. In the case of AMD, it's rather restricted by the size and implementation of the pins. This is why the RAM and PCI-e lanes are rather limited on the low-pin AM1 connector, which is ONLY designed for incredibly low-end builds for, say, a NAS or a grandma PC. Considering the rather preposterously long lifespan of socket AM3+, I would say that AMD has done their community solidly.