AMD GPU-PRO Ubuntu question

Hey guys, so I have AMD Gpu-Pro installed on my linux machine and I tried playing Rocket League and the performance was less than pleasant. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Linux Port of Rocket League was bad or if it should be running fine and something went wrong with my install. I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 and an RX 480. It runs completely fine on Windows.

Thanks!

1 Like

AMDGPU-PRO is most likely the issue in this situation. I've found better performance in the AMDGPU drivers, rather than the PRO stack.

Where do you find the non pro drivers? When I search all I can find is the Pro ones.

Add the padoka repository for more up to date mesa drivers. Amdgpu-pro isn't really for games, it's for professionals (who need the open-cl performance). The open source drivers have more than caught up by now also. btw, uninstall amdgpu-pro with amdgpu-pro-uninstall

The non-pro drivers should be installed by default, check with lspci -k |grep amdgpu and for the 480 it should already be telling you amdgpu is in use. (There is a chance it might end up using the older open source radeon, but I highly doubt it. If you don't see the kernel driver in use line listed, that is probably the case )

Padoka repo https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/pkppa/
There was also one other up to date mesa repository people recommend, but I don't remember what it is called off hand.

Okay, I added the repo. Is there anything I need to do once I have added it? Or will sudo apt-get update do everything and get me up and running? Sorry if this is trivial, still kind of a linux noob.

update only updates your repository list. To upgrade packages, apt-get upgrade.

Also, I will point out that I haven't tried that repository myself, just heard it talked about lots.

Alright. This seems to be working much better now. Still not quite up to windows though so I'm just going to assume that the port isn't up to snuff.

hey there. what gpu are you using, resolution you play in and what fps are you getting in windows?

wondering because i try to get rocket league on linux to somewhat 60 fps and every info helps :slight_smile:

Which Kernel are you using? Kernel versions also affect AMDGPU performance. Anything over 4.9+ should be ok. The more recent the better though. I have used up to 4.12.1 on ubuntu-based distros and they work fine.

The other PPA is : https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/ubuntu/updates

But it is pretty much the same as the pandoka one you already added.

Use ukuu application to update your kernel.

2 Likes

So right now I am on 4.10.1 and there seems to be screen tearing just while watching youtube videos. Would updating my kernel fix that as well? Also what kernel should I update to because this website: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/ukuu-easy-way-to-install-mainline-kernel-ubuntu says that I should not update my kernel unless I know what I am doing.

I was able to resolve screen tearing on my RX 460 by creating a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf with the following contents:

Section "Device"
   Identifier "AMD RX460"
   Driver "amdgpu"
   Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

You may also need to install the xorg amdgpu driver. On Fedora, it's called xorg-x11-drv-amdgpu.

EDIT: Also, kernel 4.10 is perfectly fine for amdgpu on Polaris cards.

I'm struggling to find how to install this..

PS I'm on ubuntu 16.04 if that helps

The package on ubuntu should be called xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu.

To install it, you can do sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu

Last I remember, AMDGPU-PRO doesn't work past linux kernel 4.4.9 (I might be wrong?).
And the SMT support for Ryzen came with the 4.4.10 patch. So possibly you should update kernel and use mesa? I think the mesa drivers have gotten a lot better recently. I'll do some testing in case.

Source: I have a Ryzen 7 1700 & Rx 480

Go for the latest stable (not marked with a red tux). I have 4.12.1 and works great. It could solve the tearing issue but i am not sure. It will definitely increase gaming performance though. 4.10 had a few glitches in performance here and there. The old kernel is not removed. If the new kernel does not work (for whatever reason) you can go to advanced options in grub and boot with the older kernel and then use ukuu and remove the non working one.

the xorg packages should come with the Kernel so i would not bother.

Screen tearing is generally caused by the display server (in this case xorg) not syncing to the monitor's refresh rate. The configuration file I posted above fixes this by telling xorg's amdgpu driver to sync to your monitor's refresh rate.

I am talking about installing the xorg packages...not solving the tearing problem.

I know, i'm not helping your ubuntu situation with my input.
I had many Ubuntu based systems and also mint for a while(...years), and i installed Solus OS few weeks ago. Have to say everything runs like a dream now. (Installed Solus with Budgie_DE)
I don't mean Solus fixes your problem, but to me and my system i saw improvement on everything.
Well one down side i have found since, my blender behaves now odd, looks like UI issues mostly.
If you can give it a run, it might be a good experience.
When i can't get something to work whitout blood sacrifice and tears, i usualy try something else for a while and see if it helps the situation. and sometimes i go back when there has been lots of updates to see if miracle has happened.

Maybe i'm just tired of Ubuntu atm.
Sorry for not really giving a helping advice.

Alright, I'll give it a shot. I have literally nothing to lose at this point lol. I'll let you know if it helps.

1 Like

I'm kind of the same in a way. tried ubuntu stuff, did not work the way I had hoped... in terms of performance, running a Sapphire Fury Nitro on AMDGPU on manjaro XFCE, Rocket League maxed out at 1080p is not dropping below 100fps when playing 4v4 with bots.

1 Like