AMD Going Straight to 14nm

Aaaaahhhhhh, I remember my Athlon XP then my Athlon 64, good times. Hopefully AMD can pull the Athlon Rabbit and monster Intel

My biggest concern isn't from the delivery of Zen, it's that I'm worried it will get over hyped, not by AMD but by rumor mills.  That said, I can NOT wait to see what it'll be able to pull off :)

What I want to see from AMD is the new FM3 socket supports apus along with 6 and 8 core cups. I would also like to see a 30% improvement in performance, since they said they goal was to jump 15% every new nm. 

What I worry about, is AMD coming out with a flop before they come out with something good. Amd has a habit of every other chip (Athlon64, Phenom II, Paledriver) being good enough.

going to 14nm

AMD going to 14nm....

Way to be optimistic.

I hope AMD is not biting off more than they can chew. Because if they mess this up that would be the end for them.

If they pull it off and pull it off well, than its a miracle. Intel had troubles and they were a few nodes ahead. I think AMD is trying to mature too quickly.

Pretty sure AMD has SOME idea of how to avoid as many issues as Intel had. AMD has some good designers who most likely have the knowledge required to make a working chip at 14nm.

Besides, I think it's a problem of supply. AMD doesn't have any 22nm contracts as far as anyone outside the company knows, and interest in producing 22nm is starting to wane in favor of 20nm and 14nm. AMD is 1 1/2 years from finishing a design that they can even mass produce, and by then 22nm will be back-lot to 20nm and 14nm. I think if they're starting the design at 14nm now, then in 18 months they'll have had enough experience with it that we'll see a solid design, whether it "performs" or not.

Edit: It might be important to point out that AMD mapped out a 20nm contract for 2013 back in 2009. Since then, it seems like all their deadlines have been pushed back by 1 to 2 years, so we may see some 20nm parts trickle out in the next year leading up to 14nm.

Fair point you make. From a business standpoint it seems the smarter decision is to jump straight to 14nm than to work their way down to it. There is no point putting out slower products while intel puts out what is leaps and bounds ahead. 

LMAO, that's amazing. 

Amd has had its tail between its legs for a long time. Yes we all want amd to make a triumphant return, but lets be realistic I will believe it when I see it. We won't see anything new from amd till 2016, and by then I'm sure Intel will have something completely new that they have been sitting on doing nothing with because they have had no competition.   

I feel like all amd will accomplish is to match current intel parts (even in 2016) and intel will still be light years ahead by then. I hope I'm dead wrong.

i would really like amd to take this 14nm process to the next level so it will again be the go to chip for gamers because im sick of all this 300$ mid range chips, i want a balls to the wall 300$ chip (12 core at 4ghz) i know thats way overkill for gaming but that is what the enthuisets want