AMD Fanboy - Ready to jump ship to Nvidia - Frustrated semi rant

My Vegas are running fine. Trying 1440p on RX570 is a long shot for somewhat demanding games. I think expectations and reality are just not in line here.

2 Likes

This post gives me so many questions…

• Are you testing with CPU in performance governor, can make a big difference depending on title.
  • Have you checked where your bottleneck is in the titles you wish to play in.
  • Have you tried enabling the ACO compiler that has been included in recent mesa.

For me the AMDGPU performance has been improving nicely over the last year and this indicates to me that the situation is getting better. Gaming on Linux you should expect that there will be a performance regression. NVIDIA drivers on Linux are a bit more efficient at the moment but that comes at a cost - NVIDIA drivers has a way of breaking on updates and it is proprietary. AMDGPU is open and included so stability on updates is much better.

If you want the best performance when gaming - install Windows. If you don’t like windows then you will sacrifice something when it comes to gaming.

1 Like

Not sure how Flight sims work on linux. i have no experience on that. Space games most i have played runs well.

But for GPU side of things i run RX480 and it still rocks all the games i play and now that i swiched from solus to pop_os, i gotta say it feels like i got extra 10% more power out of it. might be in my mind :smiley: I’m pretty sure they are equal…

Most of the proplems with amd seems to be software issues. lucky the software is mostly opensource so there can be fixes. The hardware is just fine; Not the fastest, but decent.

Yesterday i fixed my loves computer and it seems the gpu had never been opened an it had basicly cement slab between die and cooler. it, thermal paste was so dry and hardened. now her computer works very well. fresh pastes under cpu&gpu heatsinks, ram and gpu contact pins cleaned and 99% dust blown away.

RX 570 is fast enough card. there might be some other problems in the distro, try to use the steam ACO improvements for amd might give you some performance back, and also my experience in unigine is not always that 1:1

Good luck with the hunting!

2 Likes

I share your sympathy for the underdog, but cannot recommend a Navi card under Linux. My 5500xt caused all sorts of problems, even with the newest kernels and drivers :frowning_face:. In the end I reluctantly bought a 1650 Super. (My hope is to bring the 5500xt out of mothballs in 6 months to a year for a different system.)

Just to chime in with my anecdote on the whole navi/linux thing - I was having horrid issues, but it turned out my first 5700 XT was faulty.

Onto my second now and works flawlessly - I’ve tested with 5.6 and 5.7 kernel.

My 1080 Ti never had any issues whatsoever.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.