AMD Epyc 7443P Workstation questions

Yesterday my AMD EPYC Milan 7443P arrived with 24 cores and 48 threads full of potential. I’ve been trying to get my hands on an AMD chip since November 2020, failing to get hold of a 5950x and later a P620 with a Threadripper.
Note: failing refers to me refusing to wait for more than 60 days for any PC related order.

In retrospect I’m glad I waited the 7443P looks like a monster on paper.

Onto the questions

1. The difference between the S8030 and EPYCD8-2T is about £100 for the variant with 2x 10GB cards is Tyan really worth it or ASRock is fine?
  2. Any recommendation for ECC PC-3200 64GB sticks that work 100% with these 2 mobos?
  3. What power supply do you suggest? I would like to be able to run 2 3090s on this in the future.

I have only the SSD, GPU and CPU with right now.
The part list is:

1. AMD EPYC 7443P (arrived)
  2. Tyan S8030 (blessed by Wendel) or ASRock EPYCD8-2T
  3. Crucial MTA36ASF8G72LZ-3G2B1 (or any 64GB PC-3200 stick that works and can be bought)
  4. Nvidia 1080 (because I happen to have that around)
  5. 3x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
  6. Fractal Meshify 2
  7. Noctua NH-U14S
  8. Power Supply Unkown (any recommmendations?)
2 Likes

Where’d you get the 7443p from?

Novatech, they took a month and a bit but they delivered

1 Like

First off, the EPYCD8-2T does not support Milan processors.
You’ll have to step up to the ROMED8-2T board.

Second only the Kingston 2666 64GB sticks are on the QVL. In fact the ONLY 64GB sticks.

Thanks for pointing that out, I think I’ll go with TYAN S8030 in the end as I found supported 64GB PC-3200 sticks

Hello !

Regarding the choice of power supply, there is really one metric you need to consider : efficiency. First, calculate how much power your components need. Second, find a power supply that delivers at least 40% more power than that. Then look at its efficiency curve.

You want the PSU that has the best efficiency at the power draw you’ll actually be using. Higher efficiency means :

• Less heat generation
  • Longer power supply life
  • Saving money on your electricity bill (though not much)

As an example, here’s the efficiency curve for an 850 W Corsair PSU :

It’s at (or near) peak efficiency between 40 and 70 % loading, which means it would be a very good choice for a computer drawing 340 to 595 W. If your computer uses more than 600 W, keep in mind that the losses grow geometrically : not only you waste a higher percentage of the power you draw, but that power itself is a higher number, so that’s double-damage.

Also, keep in mind that ACPI in modern computers is incredibly effective. I’ve used an EPYC / RTX 3090 workstation for a while, and when you’re just running office apps and browsing the web, the entire PC draws just 55 W at the wall. So you have to ask yourself : how much are you actually running your computer at maximum power ?

There’s a big thread on EPYC workstations that you might find very interesting if you haven’t read it already :

It doesn’t address power supplies much, but it has lots of information you can use if this is your first EPYC workstation.

@Nefastor I did read some of the thread you mention.

It’s very interesting that the wattage drops, this could let me decommission my FreeNAS box and migrate it to a VM using 2 cores and 16GB RAM.

I plan on using VMs anyway for my main Linux OS as well as a Windows install for gaming.

Have you looked at any of the SuperMicro boards? They have a ton of them that support 7003 (Look at their H12 line).

I wouldn’t recommend running FreeNAS as a VM. But yeah, I do run an EPYC-based NAS and with 8 EXOS SAS drives it draws 110 to 120 W on average.

@sherma.52 I went with S8030 in the end ecprof.com, I didn’t get to read your messages the H12 series look good as well.

@Nefastor I could do a pass-through of the 4 Drives I have, for my home office + 3 laptop backups I would imagine it should work just fine. I don’t run anything too heavy on the NAS anyways. Admittedly my NAS box is the backup for everything digital in the house not sure I want to merge that with my workstation.

All the pieces of the puzzle are here and the beast is assembled.

After struggling with BIOS/BMC updates I managed to get into the BIOS and select the output for the NVIDIA GPU.

The CPU and the memory is recognized however
I do get these errors and they seem to be related to the Samsung NVME

Also does anyone know @wendell 's BIOS tweaks for the S8030 I remember some suggested tweaks but I can’t find them (or I could be tired)

A few notes:

1. How AMAZING is the remote management magical device!
  2. Picking a Linux distro to go with this will haunt me for the next weeks
1 Like

How do you plan to use it? Direct or as a VM host?

I plan on doing more work with Kubernetes than anything else, that doesn’t require VMs. Some database testing, sparse matrices on GraphBLAS, microservices and Kafka. Eventually when I muster the courage I’ll sink £1700 in a 3090.

This is after all a workstation more than a server to me.

I think I’ll try a few options and see what works best.
I would like a MacOS VM for building iOS apps.

I’d like to play Control at some point but I suspect that works fine in Linux so I don’t think I’ll bother with a Windows VM.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.