AMD dual-graphics based laptops

G'day from Australia!

I've seen in my local PC stores AMD laptops with dual-graphics built in. Now I realise these systems are APU based with a dedicated GPU meaning they are hybrid systems. Has anyone actually had a chance to play around with the A10 versions? If so, how do they perform in your opinion compared to an i7/i5 for around the same price? How is the gaming performance on these? Oh and do they get hot?

Thanks for entertaining us and keeping us informed!

sKumbag70

Hey skumbag,

New user here, but I can partly answer your question.  

I have an HP sporting the AMD A10 with the 7660G integrated graphics chip.  
It's important to realize the the xxxxG series AMD cards are in fact integrated graphics.
They will run most games on low settings.  I can get acceptable playability on BF3, Borderlands 2, RIFT, and Black Ops 2 with low settings at 768p.

I have had a lot of experience with an i7/7750m hybrid system as well.  I know you were asking about the AMD varient of hybrid systems, but I did a lot of research into those as well.  Personally, I find the 7750 to be all I'd ever need for gaming.  It could run every game I threw at it on 1080p with high settings.  Problem is it did get VERY hot.  Sadly, I heard that the Intel hybrid systems usually run cooler than the AMD competition.

Now, there are a lot of different dedicated graphics options that will really change your experience.  The mobile versions of the 7750 and the 7850 I find to be more than anyone would really need for mobile gaming. The 7690 underperformed in a lot of cases and doesn't save you that much money.  As to the cooling, be sure to inspect vent placement on any laptop you are considering for purchase.  I wish I had done more of this during my investigation, as the venting on my current notebook is sub-par and leads to unpleasant heat at times.  If I had a choice of all available notebooks right now I would probably go with an Asus G75 or G750 for their phenomenal cooling technology.

I hope that answers your question!

this guy above me answered it so right. Gj man

Thank you!

no matter what laptop you get heat will always be an issue

get a laptop cooling pad, they are great

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=laptop+cooling+pad&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

For the record, when buying a cooling pad forego the option of the Rosewill RLCP-11002 17.3" cooling pad. I bought it for my notebook and it does absolutely jack squat.

Building your own cooling pad would be a better I reckon. Just some low volt fans, a usb plug and a bit of arcrylic. But honstly I'd save the cash and spend it on upgrading a desktop system. Gaming laptops are generally WAY too hot to run top tier graphics cards.

That's a great money-saving idea 3pig, about the build-your-own fan AND the desktop.  Unfortunately, I've got this strange obsession with mobility that causes me to stay away from desktops.  It empties my pockets and leaves me eating Ramen, but at least the itch is thoroughly scratched! :P  

To the OP, I'd certainly understand if you preferred a gaming laptop over a desktop, but consider that you can get about 2x the graphic performance, 2x lower heat, and 3x lower price with a desktop system.