AMD CPU Road map *SPECULATION*

virgin owl pellet vs chad middle school science student

1 Like

TR Salaminizer.

Maybe they hired Cyrix marketing department?

2 Likes

I still don’t think “Epyc” is that bad.

In any case, people buying this gear are likely talking to Cisco, DELL, HP, etc. and chasing a box to suit a spec. Hopefully. They’re not shopping on pc parts picker and picking individual components. They’ll be picking things like “Cisco C series” instead.

The price:performance ratio is that impressive that I’m sure they’ll sell plenty of EPYC cpus in things like storage read heads, VDI servers, etc.

I still think AMD should have called socket TR4 “CoreRipper”

1 Like

coreripper doesnt sound nearly as eypc as threadripper though XD

1 Like

Nah, but its a pretty severe dig at the i-X series :smiley:

1 Like

Then the socket would be CR4
 Not TR4

Is there anyone else left but me?

1 Like

People are doing RGB lighting in their houses now

People voted Trump president. People followed Hitler, people still talk how they’re going to fuck your dad and beat your mum so both of them feel bad

My point being, people are idiots

2 Likes

I heard videos are now in RGB.

2 Likes

AMD Q2 results talky thingy:

Headlines:

• server/workstation 7nm vega samples are out, launch expected in 2018.
  • 7nm epyc on track, launch expected 2019
  • 7nm ryzen after epyc launches (but it’s not “far out”)
  • both TSMC and glofo are considered suppliers for 7nm, 7nm epyc (aka Rome) is produced at TSMC.
  • 5nm looks promising, but 7nm improvements are expected (i.e. 7nm+, etc
    )
4 Likes

Pretty good report
 really hope they can take some steps forward to paying down the debt. If they could pull off paying 75 to 100 million/quarter against that over the course of the year it would really help their position.

Given 7mm EPYC is made up of 7nm Zepplin dies i’m sure they could launch 7nm Ryzen before EPYC if they wanted to. But may as well use those parts in higher margin EPYC if there is demand, and given they’re launching EPYC first, sounds like there is

It’s not just the profit margins. They have target market share on EPYC for the end of the year. Also there are some certifications, that will soon be completed and EPYC will be fully open to all kinds of enterprise and server markets. And 7nm is actually a very strong selling point.
Basically if again they exceed expectations again with 7nm EPYC that will boost their stock price even more
 And there is also the profit margins

1 Like

Looking at the slides from the financial quarter investor meeting, I am very disappointed in the fact that we probably won’t see any new big gaming graphics cards for a while.

Seems like all we are getting for the year or 2 are going to be a bunch of mobile chips. Was hoping for an upgrade to the vega 64 to try and push nvidia a bit but seems like that won’t be happening.

“Leaked benchmarks show Intel is dropping hyperthreading from i7 chips” — and other reports based on the same source — suggest that Intel might be going the opposite direction on the desktop.

Maybe HT/SMT is desirable (a net positive) on CPUs with ≀ 6 cores, but just added complexity with marginal benefit on CPUs with ≄ 8 cores?

Eliminating HT/SMT also addresses a few security vulnerabilities.

1 Like

Are you comparing the RGB craze with Trump :D.

I mean one is clearly a fad that nobody wants, and the other is the president.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Ftfy

1 Like

It makes sense but I would say the dies used are just hard wired to disable HT. All the complexity is there still. Some people say market segmentation.

Unlike AMD CPU flaws Intel gets a lot of notice on their flaws. I have a gut feeling Intel’s HT is broken and this is a PR “works better with real cores” ploy until Intel can roll out non broken HT as an all NEW tech.

Im old and not trusting but. Im often wrong but if I am not people with current i7’s needing to disable HT are screwed to i5 overnight.

Totally speculation still
Not even a hint of this being a thing other than Intel taking a PR bath on neutering the next i7 CPU’s to be i5’s

3 Likes

Intel did say they’d have Meltdown-fixed silicon by what, next year? I guess we figured out how they got it that fast.