AMD and AVX 512 alternative?

I think your best bet might be to wait for a Zen 2 Threadripper. Or failing that, try to get a 1950X as cheap as you can, the AVX speed is not great, but you still have 16 cores for relatively cheap.

1 Like

It was introduced with skylake server chips.

Technically Xeon phi before that.

Stupid Joke:

You could get a Talos II and use that for video encoding. PPC was the video king back in the day, I bet POWER, being the child of PPC, would do great. So instead of buying an 1100 buck upgrade system, buy a 2000 buck workstation. lol

I already have a 2700x, and some video that i encode works really well. Say 40fps in handbrake, but other is slow af 23fps. I am just hoping for zen2 offering.

you could try checking if there is an updated version of Handbrake or the x265 encoder with better optimizations for zen, there are a lot of hand crafted assembly functions in high performance video encoders

yeah, but i thought that like zen1 can do 256 bit, zen2 will be able to do 512 bit at half rate using the 256 bit registers.

AMD made a deliberate trade-off because AVX not used so much.

i could be wrong.

Unfortunately we dont know yet.

1 Like

Not how CPUs work; it’s entirely possible to execute more than one instruction per clock on a single core/thread thanks to pipelining and register aliasing, and various caching and predictive techniques. The nice thing about avx-512 is that the size of the register array was quadrupled - that helps a lot, but doesn’t double the speed.

One thing that might potentially help Zen 2 more than a fancy avx instruction set is a different cache arrangement/bus, that would allow for lower latency sharing across more cores, or maybe some software improvements to reduce the need for synchronized access and minimize the stress on the infinity fabric. e.g. maybe start by doing something naive by splitting the encoding into 4core/8thread groups and encode scenes separately.

It’s how Zen1 does AVX at half the rate of intel with the same bit-ness.

Zen1 is internally 128 wide, but compatible with 256 wide AVX at “half rate”, so AVX on Zen1 usually does not offer speed improvements over 128 wide SSE2/3/4/etc.

Zen2 will be 256 wide internally, and should be able to execute AVX at full speed.
No word on AVX512 support, AFAIK.

3 Likes

Zen 3 will likely have 512 … they are steadily upgrading the registers for SIMD… Zen 2 will be 256. The thing is though your talking 13-18 percent improvement for 512 so the question is … does that percentage mean anything significant to you? Other factors can also improve performance besides Advanced Vector Extensions instruction sets

It takes time to upgrade these registers and incorporate them into the architecture

I don’t think 18% is really necessary for my application. I just was hoping it would boost quite a bit. I just have seen stuff on reddit that suggest intel is ahead of amd for 512avx in encoding.

1 Like

For future reference, Zen 2 does not have AVX-512 support. AMD also hinted at that they consider AVX-512 a waste of precious transistors. So right now I do not expect any AVX-512 support in Zen 3.

3 Likes

As of now, it looks like some manner of AVX-512 support is coming with Zen 4.

Cite a source please ?

Even The real linus shit on it this week ?

P.S dont quote Ryan Shout !

This is a rumour/speculation. Take it with a fistful of salt.

Also when I said “some manner of support”, I meant that there is the possibility that AMD will do the same thing they did with Zen 1 and AVX2, implement the decoder, registers, etc. but break all 512-bit wide operations into 256-bit uops, and leave all the execution units 256-bit.
Zen 1 only had 128-bit vector units, but it could execute any code that uses AVX2 and achieve binary compatibility with Haswell and most *lake CPUs.

1 Like

Well its x86 old ass spec …It cute Intel wants to play custom assembly instructions on some of their chips not others and there is other x64 chip makers.

That makes the party spoilers.

Depending on the latency to enter/exit AVX and whether or not clocks drop massively ( as per intel) that may still be a legit way to get reasonable performance.

And yeah not even most intel processors support AVX512 yet.

Please open a new thread if you wish to further discuss this topic.