AMD Alveo MA35D Accelerator Card

So EposVOX just did a video on this device for the data center, looks interesting and should help all them streams and streamers out there.

Some of the fruits of the Xilinx purchase.

EposVOX video link:

I’d be pretty interested in it if it gets support for OBS, DaVinci Resolve and Premiere. Any chance the FPGAs could also do ProRes?

The thingie Apple’s Afterburner AIC tried to be.

A bit expensive for home, but understandable given it is business focused. Actually kinda cheap for that market given its performance.

Id love to use this for Plex, as that is a lot of stream capability with very little power. Plex does use ffmpeg which this has support for, but from what I understand Plex uses a very old version of ffmpeg and a customized branch of it that they seemingly will never get AMD support for.

Apparently this can do a ton of simultaneous streams during the transcoding process, 32 I think is what EposVOX stated.

And it does native AV1 along with H264/H265

It doesn’t according AMD specs.

Encode: H264, H265, AV1
Decode: H264, H265, AV1, VP9
Max supported streams: 256 (whatever that means); up to 32 (1080p60)

According to STH, only available to be sold in bulk. I guess people can expect on eBay in a few years time.

I wonder if Amazon is the primary purchaser of these devices for the Twitch service to upgrade to fully supported AV1 streaming ?

Perhaps Google too for YouTube streaming but I thought that Google was using their own, in-house ASIC’s for this ?

Video is here to stay until a more efficient form of communication is to be invented. Behind those big names, I believe there are many more lesser known operators.

The advancement in MA35D (compared to previous gen) is much reduced latency (8ms vs 32ms). AMD points out two applications areas for such ultra low latency: cloud gaming and many-to-many video conferencing.

I’m guessing from consumer perspective, perhaps we’ll see some upticks in cloud gaming…

FPGAs can do most of anything, they are meant to be flexible.
Field Programmable is in the name after all :wink:

Edit: Question is, can you VHDL your way to have them be useful for your problem?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.