AMD - 7000 / R9-200 series is re-branded once again for the R9-300 series

Even if the rumor is true at least the architecture is being updated. Which means lower temps and power consumption and they probably won't be very expensive.

The move from AGP to PCI-E was nothing. How about the switch from pipeline processing to stream processing? Or the MASSIVE leap from GDDR3 to GDDR5? (The speeds literally doubled.)

My personal favorite was the jump to 40nm and DX11, with cards doubling in core and transistor count while maintaining normal power usage (i.e. the switch from the 4870 to the 5870, and in some ways the switch from the GTX 285 to the GTX 480.)

The most recent additions have made massive leaps. Just 2 years ago "4K Gaming" required a multi-GPU setup to achieve, and not a year later AMD has a single card solution that pulls it off. Bare minimum, but you get the point.

Since the glory days of 3Dfx, GPUs have moved in leaps every couple of years. It is true the most major advances lately have been very minimal, but we're at a point where the GPU really is the fastest thing in the computer. Minimal advances are all that are needed.

Look at it this way. There is still innovation being done. Architectural improvements are still happening. WE are only going to see those improvements on the high end cards though. AMD is still moving the technology forward. They are still R&Ding. The decision to rebrand the 700 series and 290 series cards for the lower end 300 series tells me that there is an advantage in doing so. Either AMD is going to be able to make the price lower with the rebrand than they would with a completely new card, or they are faster than they would be newer counterparts would be at the same price point. There has to be some sort of advantage for AMD in doing this. In all honesty, price:performance is king. So long as progress is still being made, and the technology is still moving forward (which it is for the high end cards), then who cares? as the processes for manufacturing these cards ages, it becomes cheaper to make, so a rebrand would be cheaper than the original. I am just rambling at this point, but what I am getting at is, who care? As long as the performance is there, and the R&D is still there, then it shouldn't matter. If you want efficiency though, that is another story and a reason to look towards the advancements of the technology (or to nVidia since they offer better performance:watt right now). This all looks like much ado about nothing.