AMD 32 Core vs. Intel 28 Core

I’m not either, but that Asus ROG laptop with a full 1700 in it is so damn tempting. Every time I see it in my Amazon recommended, I have to tell myself “No, you already have too many computers”

The problem with a lot of my work, and play for that matter, is that I need to be able to do it wherever I am, and I can’t just lug my desktop around everywhere.

i do understand what you mean.
And if intel is going to release those higher core count sku´s for X299.
Then we might see some new boards, or maybe some revisions of certain ones.
Allthough most decent X299 boards should have a good enough vrm.
But there are a few entry level ones that have lesser vrm on it.
Maybe i should make a X299 vrm topic aswell someday.

Should, but many probably don’t.

Intel even changed socket with Z370 vs. Z270 and it was purely a power delivery concern, so there’s precedent for this. Plus, it’s been like… a year now. New socket/chipset time :smiley:

For all the millions of folks who can’t wait to build on that?
… like, has anyone here done something with that stuff?

1 Like
1 Like

by now Intel is 99,99% bussines and 0,01 innovation.
the 28 core is a knee jerk reactive action to the 32 core AMD CPU, which only canibalizes their server space.
And their still getting owned shown by the overclocked XEON CPU using a aircondition to keep cool…
basically they wanted something saying 5ghz, and 28x. They’re far from having the finished solution unless they plan on selling aircondition units on top of CPU’s.
But again we might be looking at a historic moment where Intel branches out, and start combining the exciting fields of airconditioning, and cpu cooling.

It doesn’t do any of that yet because it doesn’t yet exist.

As of now, if you want a 28 core intel CPU you’re still stuck buying a non-overclockable Xeon clocked in the 2.x ghz range for $10-13k US. And you can’t get anywhere near 5 ghz out of it (even if it were unlocked) because the motherboards and power supplies for it do not exist on the retail market. Never mind the cooling, you won’t even get that far.

It’s a “ME TOO!!!” PR stunt, nothing more. No release schedule, no pricing, etc.

Threadripper 2 ships next month (At an estimated 10-12% of the price). It’s going to be a bloodbath.

You forgot the POWER 9 22 core.

Nah, i didn’t…

If you want to run x86/x64 apps, Power 9 isn’t going to help you.

since when did I say I wanted to do that

I did, and we’re in an intel vs. AMD discussion; running x86/x64 is kinda implied in this comparison.

Power doesn’t run the same software…

2 Likes